Friday, February 19, 2016

How To Make A Shabby Scrap Rag Galand

Welcome back to Creative Country Moms!
Lets make a super easy, fun vintage style garland for your home.
I bet you have everything you need already--- so it is probably free~!
You love that right??

Today we will be looking at my display on top of my pie safe in the kitchen.
I love the light, bright cottage look.... with lots of character and charm.
I have used all kinds of things for filler around the bottoms of my dishes to cover the mismatched stands they are placed on.  From burlap to floral pieces... but this is my favorite by far. 
Little bits of lace and shabby scraps... and this is what we will be making today... a shabby garland.
It looks great close up, but somewhat disappears in the overall look of the cottage kitchen.
Here is all you need.... yep... it is tucked in your craft closet somewhere.
 Some of that old ivy garland.... the super cheap kind... I have had YARDS of over the years.  
For this garland I had about five foot of ivy.
Some leftover fabric that you just love.... I think every blogger has used this print!
I cut my scrap fabric into six strips... I think they were about 10 inches long by about 3 inches wide.  Whatever... it will all look good.  I tied them about every 8-10 inches down the ivy with twine.
 And some lace from your collection.... I have enough for all of us.... trust me.
 Here was my three choices... any of them would have worked.... but I decided to use the old lace piece... these were popular years ago.... but I don't really need it now.
 So to get a really shabby look.... I cut it into five crossways strips....
Then even used my scissors more to mess them up a bit... more like vintage laces.
 So I added the shabby lace in between my fabric scraps....
 And you can still see bits of the ivy, but now it is so much better!
 Tucked sweetly into my little display....
 A bit of fun.... not overwhelming... just charming.
 I tell you... I hold on to this junk for a reason... you never know what I may need!  But I love that it is pretty much free.... just a few minutes time.  And if you get tired of it... so what??
 I had seen many of these at the Country Living Fair... but they were mostly all ribbons and lace... and they were meant to drape or hang...
 I wanted a bit of that look, but to lay... so this is a good combination.
 And yes, I just love adding lace...  to everything.
 My kitchen and style has changed so much over the years.
 But I have to tell you, I love how it is coming together.
 This is a happy, bright space to live in.
And for pennies.... I can redo and tinker... changing it here and there.
My sweet collection of creamwares and iornstone is where I can enjoy them everyday.
 This week I found two plates and a small platter.  For less than a dollar each!
I am selling most of my darker kitchen accessories.
 I pretty much have everything an antique white... or transferware now.
It is so much fun to mix and match... and collect!
 Now what to do with the rest of the lace?  This is just a little of my huge collection... you will just have to come back soon and find out!

Remember, a beautiful home does not have to be expensive!
It just need to be creative and one of a kind... just like you.
I have such a thing for lace... I have to share my new handbag for Spring... it is actually a grey leather with a hint of green in it....  too cute!  (it is from Maurices if you want one like it)

Come back soon... I have so much more to share....Brooke

Brooke Berry Kroeger is the creator of the Creative Country Mom blog started in 2009. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs. She does freelance photography and DIY publication work.  If you would like her to contribute on a project, email her at creativecountrymom@gmail.com.
I am linking to the parties found on my main page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."
Enter your email address:  

8 comments :

  1. I've made a couple of these before and its surprising how time consuming it can get! Shorter is easier for sure. Love the fabric pieces you picked, especially mixing in different textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've always got such wonderful ideas to share for making our home cozier and old-style, thank you for sharing them !
    May your weekend be filled with love
    with gratitude
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've always got such wonderful ideas to share for making our home cozier and old-style, thank you for sharing them !
    May your weekend be filled with love
    with gratitude
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now how cute is that! Great idea... I love it!!! Just gonna have to do that. Love your home ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Love all your old fashion decor!!garland is too cute!! Love the large picture behind your cabinet! So charming! And the pic of the little girl too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your decor! Love the garland! So charming!! All your pictures are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute garland Brooke! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garland is so pretty! Scrolling through these photos was fun! Your decor is just beautiful! Yes, I want a bag like that! Love the little lace pocket!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!