Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Our Country Kitchen: A Pre-Cottage Remodel Post

 Before I start to paint the kitchen...
I wanted to try and get some decent pictures.
I guess this is a great big.... BEFORE post for you!
 This summer we built the new screen room right off  the kitchen.
 My big fear is that it would make the kitchen too dark.
It is fine on sunny days, but a bit dark at times.
But I am thinking a lighter shade on the two main walls will help dramatically.
 So the pumpkin will be going a pale robin's egg blue.

 With touches of burlap and my floral prints.
 To get ready I have been sewing my toppers and burlap curtains.
My latest addition is the lace panels on my glass inserts.
I love the look and it hides my mess in this cabinet.
 I am so happy many of you liked my little keys on the curtain.
They are just on clips, so if I get tired of them... they are easy to remove.
 Lace is everywhere,  
I have been hording collecting it for years.
I am happy it is being used and enjoyed again.
 Birdhouses, little eggs, nests and such are still my theme.
Believe it or not, I have put many of them away.
But they are so cute and match my new cottage look.
I too will miss the plaid... but I really love the new paper I chose.
I will keep the same art up on the walls.
I just love this sweet print.
This week I added the white pieces and love the brighter look. 
An antique crock with a houseplant.
 I have had the hen bowl for years.. but it looks the best here.
I changed out my darker wreath for this simpler one with burlap.
 And added another pop of cream with the hanging birdhouse.
 It has a crystal knob like the cabinets will soon.
 Of course I decorated it a bit...
 I will leave my bar stools red for now....
But soon I will be replacing my black bar height table.
I will save it for later, but want a small circle table for this area.
It is way too big and we never use it.
We are an eat in front of the tv family.
Or out on the screen porch table now.
 When I take everything down from on top of the cabinets, I think I will leave then empty.  I have taller cabinets with crown molding and there is not very much space to work with.  I think they will look nicer with just the new color on the walls.
 More goodies tucked into the corners.
 The glimpse from the front entry.... where the green will meet the blues from the new wallpaper.
The entire first floor is slowly going from Fall colors to more lighter Spring.
 But don't worry... it will still have plenty of color.
I am not an all white kind of girl.
 This past weekend we have been in the house nine years.
 Its amazing how fast time flies... its still seems brand new to us.
 But I am excited for a change.... and hope you will love it too!
This was what I did yesterday... painted the little hutch.
Now I am thinking I want to age it a bit.
I may get the sandpaper out and rough it up a bit!

Like I said yesterday... I am ready to go....
But hubby is off work this week and next. 
So I will wait.

He doesn't see the fun in my projects...
go figure right?

Lol....Brooke


Brooke Berry Kroeger is the creator of the Creative Country Mom blog started in 2009. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs. She does freelance photography and DIY publication work.  If you would like her to contribute on a project, email her at creativecountrymom@gmail.com.

I am linking to the parties found on my main page.

"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

Enter your email address:  

9 comments :

  1. Your kitchen is lovely with the pumpkin, but of course, looking forward to seeing the new color palette! Thanks for sharing with "Let's Talk Vintage!" this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On pins and needles for the big project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke! I love the before, but I know what's coming will be fabulous. Looking forward to seeing it. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke,
    I loved the BEFORE Tour of your Country Kitchen, dear friend!!!
    By the "bits 'n pieces", I begin to see your vision of Cottage Chic!!!
    I am thrilled and excited with and for you!!!
    Keep the "teasers" coming my way!!!
    The photo of the wall paper against the soft green hued walls
    made my heart skip a beat and flutter!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kitchen has been on the list of redo's for about 5 years, so I am waiting breathlessly to see how you transform this warm and inviting space into something wonderful. Holding my breath…for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke your kitchen is so lovely as is, I understand the need for change though. I can't wait to see the after picture is its as lovely as the before I'm sure it will be amazing! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot go on enough about just how charming and inviting your kitchen is!! I'm really excited about your new changes coming up, though. Robins egg blue sounds gorgeous, and is very similar to what we painted our bedroom in our new house. I also lightened the kitchen walls in my own own from a very dark sage green to a creamy neutral and it's fun that way to add in the pops of color!
    Like I said, I'm looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures soon! Your home is always lovely!
    Blessings from Kentucky,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kitchen is beautiful. I can't wait for the big remodel! Have a great weekend. Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!