Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Country Gardens - Late June Butterfly Hill and Back Walk

Welcome back dear readers and new visitors.
It is the last day of June in my Southern Indiana Garden.
Today we are looking at my heat/dry tolerant back gardens.
You might call these beds.... my wild side.
They grow free and tall.... and sometimes out of control.
This week I did a major cutback on the other side of this bed.
It is the walkway to our deck and it was reaching out too far.
 But big, healthy and blooming is good.
The tall phlox is just starting to open up and smell wonderful.
 Coneflowers and daylilies are wonderful on the butterfly hill this month.
 The grasses are starting to bloom as well and look great this year.
 Yarrows are almost done blooming and I will cut they way back.
They will bloom again before fall if I do this.
 Since I have taken these pics I have cut back the two big pink spireas.
They too will bloom again and now there is more room to walk around the bench.
 Finally my crepe myrtles are getting some size.
Everyone I grow has had to come up from the ground again.
It was a hard past two winters.
 On the left you can see my crepe myrtle, it should be about three times that size.
 Most of the plantings here are pinks and reds.

This garden is my dry, heat area... it is not watered unless it is absolutely necessary.
 I am so happy our summer building project is finished and we can spend evenings enjoying the lake.
 The bees and butterflies seem a little light this year in the garden.
 I am hoping when the butterfly bushes bloom this week I see a bunch more.
And of course... get some pictures of them to share.
 This time of the summer is so pretty with the native orange lilies blooming.
 They are my ground cover up the driveway.
 A country welcome as you come to our home!

 I am so glad you stopped by for a visit.
I have not been posting as much this month.
Busy painting a bit and taking down some wallpaper this week.
I have been painting doors and the hallway to the garage.
Soon I will start the big kitchen re-do!

I miss talking with my online friends.
But this is a busy time of the year getting ready for the 4th.
We will have friends and fireworks here at the lake.
So I am trying to make the garden and house look it's best!

xxx...Brooke



Brooke Berry Kroeger is the creator of the Creative Country Mom blog started in 2009. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs. She does freelance photography and DIY publication work.  If you would like her to contribute on a project, email her at creativecountrymom@gmail.com.
I am linking to the parties found on my main page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."
Enter your email address:  

8 comments :

  1. Brooke, your gardens really look wonderful. All your hard work certainly shows, post after post, and I can totally relate and appreciate all of it. Your screened porch also looks wonderful, and I love how you incorporated the clear panels on the roof line to minimize your loss of natural lighting in the house. This is something I'm keenly aware of with our sunroom if we ever need to replace our total window ceiling. In the winter, when the snow covers it, it is unbearably dark until the indoor heat melts it and clears the way for natural light. Great job by you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, your gardens are so beautiful! I noticed that too the other day that I'm not really seeing a lot of bees and butterflies. What a shame......

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness your lot looks gorgeous, you must have worked so hard, it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your lilies coming up your drive as well as seeing your butterfly hill in late June. Your gardens always look inviting, so I know your guests will enjoy spending the holiday on your property. Hope you have a happy, festive time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke your yard is so amazing. I sure that you receive a lot of joy from it. So beauitful. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your butterfly hill, Brooke - it's looking just terrific! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really a beautiful country welcome Brooke! I think my entire garden is 'my wild side'. lol! Things are so big and they are blocking some of the sprinklers. I have been cutting back like crazy as well. Do this so I can get a second bloom also. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gardens are beautiful Brooke!! Hasn't all of the rain made it lush? Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!