Thursday, June 11, 2015

Country Gardens - June Butterfly Hill in Bloom

Welcome back to my Indiana Home...
 I have been meaning to share new pictures all week.
 But we are working full time on the screen porch project!
It is looking fantastic!!
 So today I am sharing a quick post about the Butterfly Hill Garden.... Enjoy!

 The garden is a large circle with a keyhole shaped path for my bench.
 It has a natural feel to it... with mostly pink blooms.
 It is at the end of our driveway next to the garage and overlooks the backyard and lake.
 This area is much larger than it appears... about 30 ft by 25 ft.
And all downhill!  Lol... it was steep to mow... so what do I do?
Plant it of course.... silly me.
 It is full of tough, hearty shrubs, grasses, perennials and groundcovers... 
with a good dose of evergreens.
 This week I will be cutting back these two tall pink weigelias 
so you will be able to see the coneflowers starting to bloom.
 In the spring I wasn't able to mulch this bed and worried about how it would look this year.
 But it is so full you cannot even tell.... only a few weeds really.
 I am just starting to water this year.  It has been really hot this week.
I usually just set this area up with a sprinkler and let it go for an hour or so.
My little evergreen is doing well.... but the crepe myrtles almost all died to the ground this year.
They are coming up from the roots again... not sure if they will bloom this year or not.
My little bench is so sweet... but it is rusted thru on one end... you can still sit on it.... but I wonder each time if it will fall!  I will look for another one... hopefully marked down this fall.
 The lake is officially open now... the girls have been tubing and swimming in it.
It sure looks tempting when we are sweating buckets working on the porch!
This is from a few days ago... we are staining it now... but it is coming right along.
Can't wait to share it with you when it is finished.

xxx....Brooke

Brooke Berry Kroeger is the creator of the Creative Country Mom blog started in 2009. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs. She does freelance photography and DIY publication work.  If you would like her to contribute on a project, email her at creativecountrymom@gmail.com.
I am linking to the parties found on my main page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."
Enter your email address:  

10 comments :

  1. What a view you have from your bench! I love your mix of things in the butterfly garden. I'm sure you will get a lot of use from your screened porch. Have a good weekend! (I'm in IN too and it looks like hot and some rain- yeah, no watering!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very lovely!! It looks like a nice place to read a book and rest.. I garden a lot. I live in the mountains of AZ.. but Im from southeastern Ohio. Gardening feeds my soul and restores my peace. I grow herbs..succulents and other drought resistant, high desert perennials. We have quite a few bird nests that we're watching and it's such a joy. Your blog is a wonderful place to visit.. good luck with your porch! It will be nice to have a haven from the mosquitos and other flying creatures! :) Have a wonderful day.. If you want to visit my blog, my name will link back to me.

    Tamara <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't checked out High Country Gardens website, I highly recommend it. They have great plants and advice for the type of area you garden in now.

      Delete
  3. your yard is so beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and charming, makes me want to sit a spell.................

    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your garden is so beautiful! Love it!
    Have a great weekend, take care...
    Love,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so so pretty! And not just pretty, but the proportions and everything are very pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Brooke,
    It is always hard work for building something like that!
    Soon you will be able to sit underneath and have some cool spots for summer.
    Hugs and happy weekend.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brooke, your little butterfly garden is so sweet and I can just imagine how relaxing and peaceful it is sitting on the bench looking out over the lake. Very idyllic. I have fantasies of a round or oval area planted under a crab apple tree in my back yard with a bench to sit on--actually have had this fantasy for a few years. I don't have a lake to look upon, but it would still be nice. Maybe after a few other areas are completed I will make a start on that. Your butterfly garden is a nice example and inspiration. Thanks for letting us see the beauty of your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! What a fantastic garden and what a view! You did a great job on it. Be proud - it's absolutely georgeous!
    All my best from an Austrian gardener
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!