Monday, June 15, 2015

Building A New Screen Porch

 Big changes here at the lake....
Today I wanted to share a few pics of our summer project.
 We are turning our hot, unused deck into a wonderful screen porch!

 One of the steps was removing all of the railing and wow... what a difference it made.  It opened up the view dramatically.  Of course. I worried the entire time someone would fall off.
 The deck is a good 12-14 ft up in the air.
About this time my husband asked me if I wanted a pergola!
Lots and lots of cuts and climbing ladders.
 Skip ahead a good 10 days and the metal roof is on and most of the painting is too.
 Scaffolding saved the day when putting on the screens on the outside. 
 Working around a mature garden is quite a trick!
 But he did his best not to trample and crush my blooms.
A safe husband is what matters right?
 I married the best guy in the world... 
 Scaffolding had to be moved to do the other side.
 This time right over the rose garden!
June blooms under the braces....
 All of my trellises and stuff was (thrown) kept under the deck.
 It is now taking shape... wow...
So different and so exciting.
 And you can hardly tell they were even working in this area.
 It is larger than it looks about 14 by 19 feet.
 And yes, I am dang tired of painting!
So here is a before picture....
And here it is after....

This project was three weeks... of hot, sweaty days.
This is the biggest of our DIY's by far.

In a few days I will share how it looks now and how I am decorating it.
I hope you will come back to see it all finished.

xxx....Brooke

Brooke Berry Kroeger is the creator of the Creative Country Mom blog started in 2009. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs. She does freelance photography and DIY publication work.  If you would like her to contribute on a project, email her at creativecountrymom@gmail.com.
I am linking to the parties found on my main page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."
Enter your email address:  

10 comments :

  1. This is beautiful! I can't wait to see the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! We are redoing our screen porch. Hubby just laid new tile and I will paint. It is so hot and muggy in Indiana, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am sure you will get so much more use out of that space now. So inspiring. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the screened porch is nice, but I would have preferred the pergola! I'm obsessed with hanging baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is WONDERFUL! You're going to love that space so much more, I think, now that it's screened in. We're still working on ours. We waver between screening it all or screening only part. I like the skylights in your roof. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful. You will enjoy your new screened porch so much this summer and no worries with pesky mosquitos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! your husband is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous! Would love to have a screened porch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice addition to your house! The bugs won't bite you in your porch as you catch the lovely summer evening breezes and gaze at the lovely lake and your beautiful yard while you sip a glass of your favorite wine. I'll be drivin' down from Mich. on the weekend to check it out! Don't worry, I'll bring my own wine!
    I know that you know what a lucky duck you are and how deserving you are of your new screened porch.
    Enjoy, girl, enjoy! (In case you're worried about me actually visiting, I was just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brooke,
    Amazing!!!
    Your hubby is o n e careful carpenter, dear friend!!!
    Your gardens are lovely this time of year!!!
    I, too, am enjoying your blossoms on your blog and Face Book page!!!
    The screened in porch will be such a treasured space for years of enjoyment!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!