Friday, May 29, 2015

The Start of Something New --- Cottage Style Kitchen Makeover


 Yes, I am actually doing it.  For sure.
I am making over my Country Kitchen.
To a more Cottage Kitchen...
Can't tell the difference... you will soon.
 Of all the photos I take and all the things I share....
The kitchen is the most talked about.
 And honestly, I loved how it looked for 8 years.
But I see it every day, and it is looking shabby.
My beloved plaid wallpaper is ragged at the edges and has to come down.
 And I love country, but my tastes have changed so much since I have started blogging.
 I must admit... I have been in a cute mood.
Pretty... is more like it.
I love my lace and vintage things... but I need more bright things.
We are getting ready to build an addition to this area 
and it will not be getting as much natural light soon.
So here it is before... my much pinned and commented "look".
 And here it is now... my inspiration area until I can actually begin my makeover.
 What started my redoing it was this little lamp I bought for $4.
I love its size and bling... and even the slightly beat up shade.
I added the lace.
 The old birdhouse was a splurge... lets say it was slightly over $4.
 I had wanted one for years and this one was too perfect to pass up.
Love the chippy look and the buttery yellow.
 Okay... here is my plan... everywhere you see my pumpkin paint will be a buttery cream color.
 I will be adding bits of sage green, cream and pink.
 Which is why this shade is perfect.
 With garden and bird themed bits and pieces.
Of course.. I will take all this down and probably change everything.
Maybe even my theme....
 But I have the paint ready...
 And here is my wallpaper to replace the plaid.
Don't you love it?
Got it on clearance for $20!
Yep... on sale or I would have tried a stencil.
Love...love the lace look.
 So here is my palette...
I am wanting to add bling to my cabinets with glass knobs.
I haven't had pulls for nine years... they are pricey and I could not make up my mind.
But you can buy glass ones in bulk... cha-ching!

I will add lace panels to my glass front cabinets too.
That will add a bit of white and hide my junk inside them.
I would love to paint them... but that is not an option with hubby.
The fabric I had from a yard sale.
It reminds me of Rachel Aswell stuff.
I have a ton of it and will add it to my toppers and tabs with the burlap panels.
I will add lace to everything... I have all that on hand.

Maybe all the lace and the cuteness is too much for some.
But I love that it will be so different.

What made me thing Cottage... just look at my Pinterest pages...
it is all Pastels and light colors... with tons of kitchens this Spring.

Honestly, you can tell what I am up to by looking at what I am pinning!

I had most of the stuff... and curtains and knobs can be changed out.
So so far it is under $100 if we don't count  the birdcage.
Let's not count it okay?

Lol...as always I am way ahead of myself.
Hubby keeps reminding my the screen porch project comes first.
Plus... I want to enjoy that porch too.

So... I will let you know when I start painting
and tearing everything apart.

Thanks for stopping by....Brooke



Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

Enter your email address:  

14 comments :

  1. I love it all...thanks for sharing your Beautiful home...S>D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're ready for a change. I love the new ideas you have for your kitchen!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved your kitchen and yes, it's gonna look awesome! Can't wait to see it finished, Brooke!
    I know, bloggy friends kinda make us change ideas and 'like others things' that we otherwise not gave them a second thought.
    We did totally remodeled our kitchen a little before blogging 4 years ago and I so love it, it's got the latest as hubby just loves it like that. Classic, but not modern except for the draws etc. Now I would have done just like it, but maybe added subway tiles or something; even though I know my hubs doesn't like them because of the dirt settling inside the tile unions, lol! I know him!
    You sure got great things on a bargain too!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had pretty dark country all over my house before blogging, and then I went farmhouse/cottage. My husband is still trying to like it!
    I love your ideas and I'm sure it will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kitchen plans sound beautiful Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cottage look, maybe not as shabby as Rachel Aswell and too much lace gives me the hives but I love the worn look. Absolutely love your choice of wallpaper! We painted most of our walls pale yellow years ago and I've never tired of them. can't wait to see your finished cottage kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brooke,
    Oh, dear friend, how exciting!!!
    I have always l o v e d your plaid wallpaper in your kitchen
    because it reminds me of our laundry/mud room wallpaper in our "dream home".
    We kept the same kitchen decor here on this side of the Prairie 13 years,
    so~o~o. . .I do understand what you mean by wanting a change!!!
    A screened~in porch sounds lovely, too!!!
    I'll be watching as your process begins!!!
    I adore the things you have for inspiration. . .and that birdhouse. . .it's a keeper!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to your new updates! I just painted my oak cabinets last weekend and I couldn't be happier! And I made a believer out of my hubby...he loves them too! Hop on over and see my kitchen transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wallpaper is a wonderful vintage-y, cottage dream! The sage color is perfect and will take you effortlessly into each season. I can't wait to see the kitchen when it's finished because you have a knack for making your house feel so cozy and inviting. Although I will miss the current look you have, I look forward to the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see it Brooke - I bet it will be gorgeous. Love your palette and your ideas. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your kitchen as is, but sometimes change is good, no, GREAT! It sounds like you have a clear vision in your mind, and I'm sure it will be beautiful. Can't wait to see it when its done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your country kitchen. Now, I am excited to see what you do for a cottage kitachen. Love those cabinet knobs! Please come share your blog posts over at the Home Matters Linky Party! We'd love to have you for a visit. The Door is OPEN. http://lifewithlorelai.com/2015/06/04/home-matters-linky-party-40/ :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a beautiful kitchen, but I understand the need for change. Everything you picked out looks like it'll be lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I came to visit from Brenda's Cozy Little House. I love your new theme ideas. I am in love with those pastels myself; I think of it as kinda retro 1930/40 colors. The mint green, the salmon pink, and your creamy white. I am a new follower - I can't wait to see your new project unfold! Love the glass knob idea, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!