Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Spring In The Cottage Rose Garden --- LOADS OF PICTURES

Sometimes I feel like it is toss up on what is harder to keep up...
sharing photos of a changing garden on the site 
or keeping up with the actual garden!
Spring is a marathon it seems... but a wonderful one.
 Welcome to my cottage style plantings at the rose garden area.
This week's star is my Sensation lilac I trained into a standard.
I just love it's small tree shape and wonderful scent.

And the blooms are so pretty with little white edges.
Peonies are huge and just full of buds.
I have about 30 of them and most are in this area.
 They will spill thru the fence on both sides in pink and white in a few days.
The early irises are starting to bloom as well as the little groundcovers.
The dayliles look really good this year as well, much larger than last years growth.
A look down the back of the house and the lush new growth.
 Alliums and irises are pretty in purple and highlighted by a carmel colored heuchera.
I believe this one is called Swingtown and it is a rebloomer.
Many of the shrubs are so close to blooming, the dark leaved one in the photo is Ninebark Diablo and it will be in full bloom by the weekend.
Spring blooming Daphne shrub is similar in scent to a lilac, but the delicate pink to white blooms are so charming in a cottage garden scene.  A little hard to find, another old variety, but lovely.

This week I will be trying to paint the fence a bit.
Like everything else I should have done this earlier in the year....
but life happens.  I love country, chippy charm... but it needs some wood protection.
 Another Immortality iris, one of my favorites varieties,
blooms early and then again in the fall if we are lucky.
 Lets now step into the rose garden and take a look around.
The bed frame is a new addition, I have half of it installed and new some help getting to footboard in.  Will get that done this week.  It will look charming with roses and a clematis growing on them.
My roses are just coming up, but already they have buds on them.
It is early yet in Indiana.
 My little wagon is filled with sedums.
The chicken wire keeps the cats from using it as a litter box!
 My metal tubs are a growing collection.
I try to grow something different in them every year.
This year it is some miniature zinnias and several vine seeds to grow up the trellises.
 Rusty is best in this area.... I am the very definition of a flea market gardener.
 Wooden borders are a must or it would take over the backyard.
My hubby and I rule is if it is outside the box... he can get it!
 I have two raised beds with amended soil for my roses.
This was my best investment.
I feed them well and they thrive... with a little help now and then.
An old bedframe as a trellis... of course.
And hang things on it... YES!
Clematis will be blooming here by next week.
Another view of the gardens.  I know... not everything is blooming yet.
But still there is much to see, don't you think?
This is such a fun time of the year in the garden.

I hope you will come back soon... this is the area I am working on today.
I have things that need cut back and cleaned up so you can see the irises blooming.
I will be pulling up poison ivy from a few spots... wish me luck!
Dang I hate that stuff!!!

Come back soon....Brooke
_________________________________________________________
Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

4 comments :

  1. Brooke, I love your blog! I have a question about your Clematis. Right now I still have the "remains" from last year on the trellis where mine grows. Do you cut the brown remains all the way back down to the ground? Or should I leave it and let the new growth take over. It is really quite a mess!! Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed seeing all of your lovely flowers beds. Everything is beautiful and soon everything will be in bloom, lucky lady.
    I also have a cottage and simply love all things that are flowers and garden art in the beds.
    Enjoy your Spring and all your lovely that you have. I am really worried here in So CA with the drought.
    Have a terrific weekend at your beautiful cottage.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Brooke,
    Your garden looks very lovely during spring. Enjoy it while those blossoms last!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, this is a wonderful time of year! Every day as I stroll my gardens I am greeted with delight of new blooms. I bought a Sensation Lilac this year. I like the idea of training it into a standard. I enjoyed touring your garden. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!