Monday, May 11, 2015

I Bought A Vintage Wedding Dress and it's a Gunne Sax~!

Over 6 years of blogging I have shared so many things....
But I have to say, this is my favorite find to share with you!
I bought a Vintage Jessica McClintock "Gunne Sax" Wedding Dress!
And the BEST part is.... I only paid $5.00 for it at the thrift store!
Okay where to start... I put the dress form in the corner early this Spring and loved it there.
I have been collecting Vintage Bride Photos for years now and loved to see the dresses in them.
So naturally, I thought about having a dress on the form.
I love my mom's dress and she would let me display it.
But I did not want it damaged by the sun and hanging in the house.
So I had been looking for a while now at Goodwill and thrift stores.
But when I found this one... it was FATE!

You see I am a child of the 80's... I was born in the early 70's....
but grew up when Jessica McClintock dresses were very popular.
Loads of lace and vintage style... with puffy sleeves and oversized collars.
My mom loved her patterns and sewed many a homemade 'Gunne Sax' for me. 
My senior picture was in a dress my mom made from this pattern!
So lets take a closer look at this "Gunne Sax" dress.
Let me start by saying it is in perfect condition.
Not one stain or tear, I do not think it has ever been worn.
It needs pressed, but I was too excited to get it on the form to wait.
It is tiny, only a size 4, but it fits my mannequin like it was made for it.
I had paper in the sleeves to make the puff out more, 
but it made the dress look odd, like the arms were too big, so it took it out.
I just love the simple design of the dress.
It is heavy satin and so elegant feeling.
I had been to the citywide yard sales that morning and they were a bust.
So I went to a town near here to shop a bit before a tennis match and found it.
I called my mom and told her I bought a wedding dress and she said "what for?"
And pretty much thought I had lost my mind.
But once everyone saw it, then knew it was just right for my style.
I looked for the past couple days at dresses online and could not find one like it.
I saw a few that were between 200-400 dollars now.
Of course, as soon as I saw that my hubby said "Sell It!"
I have no intention of parting with it, its is perfectly Vintage and Victorian looking.
And you just don't see that every day!

What do you think?
Did you have a Jessica McClintock dress?
They still make them, but I remember the first ones!

Thanks for stopping by....Brooke

Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

16 comments :

  1. This weddingdress is sooooo veryyyyy beautiful!!!!!!! And that you found for $ 5 you are so lucky, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love it! What an amazing find! Five bucks?? You did alright, I'd say. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ...such a beautiful dress and the price is so stunning.I would not sell it either.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite dress of all time is a Gunne Sax blue and white toile with a blue velvet botice that laces up with leg of mutton sleeves. I never felt more beautiful than in that dress and yes I still have it! Your dress is perfect in your beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post just made me smile. My hubby & I were married in 1977, and I wore a Gunne Sax dress! Mine was cotton with lace insets. It make me laugh to think that my dress is now "vintage". My grand daughter loves to play dress-up with it. Your lucky find looks lovely in your room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Brooke,
    You really scored big time with that wedding dress! Congrats and enjoy it. No, I did not wear Jessica McClintock dresses but I do have a black Jessica McClintock hat that I love very much!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made my daughter's Wedding dress, a Jessica McClintock 2 piece suit pattern with looped satin button closures, covered buttons and tails like a a man's tuxedo. That was back in 1994. It turned out really nice. Your Wedding dress brought back so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a Beautiful find! I Love her designs and her special signature fragrance. Your home is Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was 14 (1980) my dad bought me a Gunne Sax dress for a school banquet. I still have it, I just could never part with it. I wore it so many times to school functions & even to a few banguets in college. It's made exactly like your wedding dress except the fabric is cotton & lace. The sleeves & bodice insert are white, the rest of it is a lilac floral pattern. I sure wish I could still get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect! She has found the right home. I remember them well. I used to fell guilty trying them on when I knew very well I could not afford one, not even a home made version.Enjoy! I am sure you were meant to have her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great find! I shared two Scott McClintock dresses I found on my blog. Always loved Jessica McClintock dresses, wish I had enough sense to keep mine :))
    Visiting from Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Exquisitely stunning---absolutely the find of a lifetime! What serendipity, and how perfectly the shining satin fits into your wonderful corner of treasures. I do believe you've got yourself some Guipure lace, there.

    I remember a Sunday morning decorating program maybe ten years ago---House Beautiful, I think, and there were only perhaps twenty episodes. One of my "covet" memories of my life was of Jessica McClintock's house---especially the personal rooms---her bedroom with all the whimsical settings and faity-like sheer hangings. And the bathroom---it became a vivid memory to me, as the most luxuriously beautiful spot in any room I'd seen, with the diaphanous draperies and rose-encrusted graceful tub.

    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/00/2e/87/002e8783041e6c1afeba4d7feba401cb.jpg

    Simply lovely, yours and hers.

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. $5.00!!! Good for you! I would have bought it too! It's beautiful. I still have my wedding dress and the goal is to at some point buy a mannequin/bust and display it in my bedroom. I have my veil hanging up already. It looks perfect where you have it displayed. Have a great weekend! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a find! I don't have a Jessica McClintock dress, but I sure do remember them! Perfect fit for your mannequin. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful dress - I well remember Jessica McClintock dresses. This one is perfect. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my I had several of these dresses and I loved them!! Yes they were awesome! If I had found this I would have bought it too! Thanks for linking with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!