Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spring Has Sprung.... There Is Work To Be Done!

I am a happy girl... I have color in my garden...
just a  tiny bit... but I will take it!

Sunday was our first real warm day here in Indiana.
I soaked up every bit of it.
That little bit of warmth and my garden jumped back into life.
Renewal is a beautiful thing.
But this garden is far from automatic.
The flowers may be on time... but the work is constant.
My beds are left to rest all winter.
That means a big, messy clean up every March and April.
 You see to enjoy these lovely Spring buds...
you have to dig out the remnants of last years show.
(French Pussy Willow)
 For me that means about two weeks of clean up.
I literally have to dig out my bulbs for them to be seen.
Partially because my  borders have been moved out over the years.
What once was by the edge is now three feet inside the gardens.

Slowly I have been moving the smaller bulbs outward,
but still I have to find them in the spring and try not to step on them.

As I clean up the perennials it is lovely to find new treasures.
This year I have a wonderful collection of moss... 
I hope it stays and grows on my north side.
It is lower and wet there, fingers crossed.
The little driveway bed is getting more bulbs added this week.
I did not get all of mine in the ground last fall,
so this week I will add tulips where I can see I need them.
One benefit of being lazy I guess.
They should be fine.
One of my favorite early blooms are the crocuses.  I have them all over the garden and just want more.  They need sun, they do not do well in the shady or wet areas.
As you can see my grass is starting to green up.
My early chores are always the boxwoods and evergreens here.
I have about 20 in the front gardens.
I have cut them all back to about 15 inches tall and wide.
I love the winter color, but I don't allow them to be huge.
This took me all day yesterday,
but I love the clean look once the are back in shape.
 Yesterday I also got a bit of the porch stuff put back out...
Cushions on the swing and some of the pillows.
We have had so much wind!
I hate to get anything broken, but it looks nice to have color again.
Just a little over a week ago the lake was frozen... now it is sparkling for us today.
They are saying mid 50s for this week and near freezing a few nights.
I think the worst is over, but I will watch to see how quickly things bud out.
I don't want to risk loosing my hydrangea blooms this year.

It is amazing how quickly it changes from bitter cold to warm here in Indiana.
Thanks so much for dropping in and please consider becoming a new follower...


_______________________________________________________

Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

29 comments :

  1. I am in West Lafayette and i also worked outside all afternoon yesterday. It seems to take me forever to get the beds cleaned out! But when it's nice out I don't seem to mind:) Hope we don't get snow this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, they are calling for a mix here, will be watching for buds and praying we don't have a late freeze.

      Delete
  2. The crocuses are lovely. After the harshness of winter, it must be such a welcome sight to see that splash of color. Looking forward to your upcoming garden photos. Thank you for joining The Maple Hill Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to have color in the garden, such beautiful blooms! I picked some daffodils today, such fun having flowers to bring indoors!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them as well, but never have the heart to pick them. I need to go out and find some along the fields and collect them this spring.

      Delete
  4. It is so nice to feel a little warmth outside after this hard winter. My garden also needs some work this spring. It was a long hard winter. We also have a lake out back and I so enjoy the seasons with it. Have fun gardening!
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is healing to soak up the sun. It is cold here again, but hoping come next week to finish up most of the beds.

      Delete
  5. I so enjoyed touring your garden this morning, Brooke. Love seeing the crocus and your unfrozen lake. Gives me hope for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous...still a foot of snow on my garden and cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna... I feel for you... it has been wind this week for us. The sun has been out a bit... but it is nippy!

      Delete
  7. I wish I can have a beautiful yard like yours. I just don't have a green thumb. I am getting better because I haven't killed my two house plants so that is a good sign. LOL, I always enjoy your home and such a peacefully place. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have killed as many houseplants as I grow... probably more! I am just silly enough to keep trying!

      Delete
  8. Wow your garden is lovely! We still have about 2 feet of snow here in Kingston, Ontario. No budding at all, I am excited to see if my baby magnolia I planted last year has had a good winter, Spring is so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Magnolias... I have small Jane that was a start from another garden four years ago that is doing wonderful... and a teddy bear that is slow to get going... but looks good. I need to add more, but they can be a bit pricey in my area.

      Delete
  9. Morning Brooke,
    Yes, spring is an amazing time...... the way everything it regenerates and renews. My fav time of the year.
    Wanted to tell you that I got a lot more comments this week than I have in a long time, couldn't help but
    wonder if it might have been because of your post last week about that.
    Your crocus are beautiful, can't wait to see when the rest of your garden regenerates. We were fortunate
    that we got an early start on trimming back the bushes and mowing the lawn and painting the house, so
    that is great cause now we can concentrate on cutting some stuff back in the backyard that needs doing,
    and doing a lil touch up painting still in some other areas.

    Well, Spring she is almost here.............glad to hear you are having some nice temps and trying to thaw
    out some.....hope your temps don't go as low as they say they will............

    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it would be nice if I was the reason... lol. You give me too much credit. But for those of us who have blogged for several years, it is easy to say it was better back when.... but I do think we can get back to it. Some of this has to fizzle out eventually.

      Delete
  10. Hi Brooke, nothing is up here in my yard yet. But then I don't have any crocuses here...yet! I am also adding more bulbs, bought another hyacinth and tete a tete yesterday and a beautiful ranunculus! Hoping to be able to get them outdoors soon. Your lake is GORGEOUS!!! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Pinky. Mine was "overnight" it seems. Nothing and then bulbs..lol.

      Delete
  11. I enjoy spring chores so much more than fall clean up. You are wise to let your beds rest unceaned as eaves abd such provide homes and protection for birds and critters. Isn't it nice to see some color once again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes... although it is still a long way from a show... lol. About a month from now for us.

      Delete
  12. I still have snow and my lake is still frozen, a snowmobile was zooming past our shore on Monday. I'm north west of Laurie Dickson in Kingston, Ontario, so it will be a while before I see tulips, they under at least 3 1/2 feet of snow near the house. What caught my eye, do you plant tulips now, where you see empty spaces to fill in? Do you keep bulbs that were for sale last fall just to fill in the spots? How do you store? Sorry if I sound a little dumb about this, but it sounds like a good idea to do after the tulips stop blooming while I wait for the leaves to dry up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had mine in a box in the garage. I have not opened it yet, but in years past they might have a small bit of new growth, and they did fine. I too like the idea of adding them where we can see we need them. I have no excuse but time got away from me!

      Delete
  13. Your crocuses are beautiful Brooke! And what a welcome sight after Winter!! Boy - you weren't kidding about the work to be done, though. Sounds like quite a garden! Up here in the north we've been enjoying the mild too and got our deck furniture. So nice to do it earlier this year.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, we have about an acre of gardens and seven acres of land. We are trying to keep the project light this year, but we have already ordered 10 ton of rock... lol. Building up the driveway and under the deck with new drainage system. I have been ordering seed this week and thinking of how to add a few edibles like strawberries and blueberries into the beds. I have promised not to make any more new areas for my husband to mow around!

      Delete
  14. This is a lovely post Brooke and really gets one into the spirit of spring in the garden. It's not quite gardening time yet here on Long Island, since the temperatures dropped back down into the 30's today with a blustery wind. I know spring weather is on the way as the hyacinths slowly break ground and pussy willow buds swell a little larger each day. I loved your crocus all in bloom....soon....I keep telling myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures. I need to add some crocus to my beds. Lots of work to do here, but it keeps on raining.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those first days of spring are so special... beautiful pictures of it. I especially like the pussy willows and miss them... we had some, but haven't for several years now. I love spring. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!