Monday, February 2, 2015

Two Little DIY Topiary Projects

Life....
...is hectic at times.

 Days rush by us and weeks have passed.
 Good intentions turn into should haves....could haves and might have beens.
That is how it has felt for since the holidays.

I never seem to have enough time to do everything.
But I miss creating and blogging.
I miss seeing what everyone is up to.

Okay, enough about that....

So today, I am sharing a little project I did for the holidays.
And a second project about how I am using it now.

It was a little clay pot I distressed and added an electric candle.
It was cute for Christmas, but not really something I wanted for the rest of the year.

So I took it apart, and added a little bit of live ivy...

With some moss in new soil in a plastic container to keep the plant happy.

Live plants are always better than greenery!
I have lost count of how many houseplants I have.
I just love them, especially in the winter months.
So here it is now... I am not sure it is going to stay there.
I will eventually move it back into the family room once it is established a bit more.
The kitchen has such great sun this time of year.
I know it will be so cute once the ivy fills in all the way up to the top.
I will keep it trimmed to keep the shape,
and then the cuttings I will use as starts for more plants!

I love to grow houseplants from cuttings.
This is a great time to snip a few and root them in a bit of water
in a warm window seal.

Just change out the water every week and watch for the roots to get about an inch long then plant.
I usually do three starts per pot, so if one dies, you still have a good chance of success.
They will need extra water for the first month, then let them grow!

Don't be afraid to ask for a start from a friend, gardeners are always glad to share!

Have fun...xxx....Brooke

_________________________________________________________
Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

3 comments :

  1. I like the ivy topiary. I may start one but, mine can be outside since I am in a sub-tropical climate. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost always have one or two sweet little ivys growing in my kitchen.. but the last that I had died.. I must confess, only the hardiest of plants survive here.. Im horrible about watering as often as they need it. Its a wonder that anything lives! LOL.. but I do have quite a few plants.. and now.. since Im thinking about them.. I think i will water them! have a great day
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! Its sure is a beautiful idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!