Monday, February 9, 2015

Tuesday Garden Party - Feb 10, 2015


 Spring... in my area of Indiana is about six weeks away....
 The end of March or beginning of April my butterfly hill should look like this again.



 I have been looking around in the garden and the daffodil bulbs on the south side are up about an inch.
 These are giant bulbs called King Alfred and they are wonderful.
 They are larger than most daffodils and multiply very quickly.
 This was one little bag about four years ago and look how they have spread.
The good news is... I have even more this year!
Can't wait to show them to you in a few weeks!!!



Creative Country MomFacebook|Pinterest|Twitter|Google+

From your host this week, Shelly of Frugal Family Home,

I took advantage of the great weather we had a few weeks ago and cleaned up the garden beds. They weren't too bad at all. I had left a few carrots and green onions and leeks in the garden to winter over. I harvested them a couple of weeks ago.


We ended up with about 5 pounds of baby carrots. Yes, 5 pounds, I would have never guessed there was that many still growing, but I just kept finding more and more. I guess I will find out if I missed any soon.

I was really surprised that the leeks made it through the two freezes we had. Our winter has been fairly mild this year, but the leeks froze a couple of times. But they looked great when I harvested them. The green onions didn’t fair so well and broke apart when I tried to harvest them. Into the compost they went.

I noticed, one lone head of lettuce that survived the winter and my chives are already sprouting up. We also have a few daffodils in our flower beds. Not much has come to life yet in the garden, but there is a little progress.

We had some great links shared at last week's Tuesday Garden Party.

Here's a few links I picked to feature this week.


1. Simple Seed Germination Test from Grow a Good Life
2. How to Grow Sprouts from Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment
3. Simple Tips for Caring for Your Roses from A Spectacled Owl
4. How to Freeze Spring Onions from Mummy Do It
5. Tea Cup Bird Feeder from My Mommy World


Feel free to grab the button and link it back to...
I can't wait to see what you share!
Don't have anything happening in your garden yet?
Share a favorite post from last year!



xxx....Brooke

_________________________________________________________

Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

1 comment :

  1. Hi Brooke, I've found a kindred spirit. I love both vintage and gardening. Like your cute house plant containers. I need to start looking for some old fashioned containers. I'm in northern Illinois so we are a long way from spring. This time of year I get desperate for anything green and growing. Next month I will start some seeds. I haven't tried using lights but this year I might.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!