Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Homemade Tussie-Mussie... A Perfect Little Accent For Spring!

Have you heard the term tussie mussie before?
I fell in love with them almost 20 years ago as I was a young bride to be.

I love the look of a wrapped stem on a simple bouquet of flowers.
I looked up the definition..... 

A nosegay, tussie-mussie, or posy is a small flower bouquet, 
typically given as a gift. They have existed in some form 
since at least medieval times, when they were carried 
or worn around the head or bodice.

I have seen it spelled Tussy Mussy as well, 
whatever it is still a darling idea!
So with Spring right around the corner.... lets make one!
The simple nosegays are perfect to lay on an edge, over a book or on a tray.  
So many lovely ways to display a bit of lovely, romantic florals in your homes.
 For me I already had all I needed around the house.  
Some loose flower stems, twine (my favorite in the garden as well) 
and a cute little wooden tag from a craft store.
 Gather your stems together with the tallest in the middle 
and the shorter ones to the edges.
 Cut your twine to about 24-30 inches, depending on how 
much stem you have to wrap.  Don't be stingy!  
Start at the top of where you want your wrapping to be and let the 
twine fall about 4-6 inches past the end of your stems... 
This will be your "tail" to tie once you wrap your stems.
 Make a simple knot at the top and then wrap down covering your tail as you go...
Make it snug so all of your stems will stay in place.
 Once you get to the end, just tie it off with a knot.
 Then you can add your accents or leave it be loose.
Or you can make a little loop to hang it from a hook....
The possibilities are endless on how to use these.
  I will add something to the tag soon... but for now it is blank.
 But I like the idea of it hanging over the edge.
 The last few weeks I have been out shopping 
and seen so many Spring decor items.
It is tempting to add something new, 
but over the years I have collected quite a bit of knick-knacks...  
I love the idea of using what I have and just reinventing how to make it new to me again.  
I have had a love-hate relationship with silk flowers, but until Spring comes around... 
I will enjoy all the color in the house I can find!

Thanks for stopping by and remember...
Beautiful doesn't have to be expensive....Brooke

_________________________________________________________
Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

10 comments :

  1. Love this Brook! So simple - but such a nice spring touch. Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful idea, Brooke! Just perfect to add a little Spring around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little vignette looks lovely with the tussie mussie and lace. I have a lovely herb book that shows how to make them. They are so pretty. Happy day I am visiting from Rooted in Thyme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tussie mussie really adds so much to the lovely vignette. I hadn't thought to use twine instead of ribbon.
    Have a wonderful week, Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the vignette! The little tussie mussies look great with the tall lavender ones in the big pot. They look so real and dramatic !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how pretty!! Thank you for sharing how to do this. ; )
    ~Michele
    p.s. Love that wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tussie mussies and have made them before, but only with real flowers. Great idea to create one from faux. Perfect for Spring! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silk or not, your tussie mussie is so pretty. I desperately need some flowers! My hubby bought me lovely roses for valentines day and I so enjoyed them. Spring is still at least a month away for us. My grandparents were from southern Indiana, near Bedford. I loved the "hills and hollers" of that area and miss it very much. Such beautiful country! Thank you for sharing it and your spring garden preparations at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!