Wednesday, February 11, 2015

50 Cent Candlestick DIY Makeover

Light and Bright is the theme of my Family Room Redo...
Yes... after almost nine years, the most lived in room in the house is getting redecorated.
We have ordered new furniture and it will be here in a few weeks.
So the first thing I am doing is refreshing a few accessories to use in the new brighter look.
 I love candlesticks, have them everywhere... but most are in darker colors.
The bigger was chocolate brown and the smaller was a dark gold.
 I wanted a milk paint type finish, with a bit of the darker colors showing.
Here you can see it when it was still wet... but it will dry a more chalk-looking finish.
So I bought some 50 cent craft paint in a flat finish...
and simply watered it down a bit
so it would be lighter and more like a milk paint finish.
 I was going to sand them, but decided I liked the simple, sightly streaked look.
I may sand them later when I refinish other things.
But for now, I am happy with how they turned out.
 I love to accessorize my candles....
I added the wooden tag, metal circle trinket and the burlap ribbon.
This makes the cheap vanilla candle look more finished.
To the large base I added some scrap fabric,
burlap and some floral leftovers.
I am going pretty neutral, but this dresses it up.
I did the same with the smaller candle with a bit of ivy and more burlap.
These are all things from around the house... and my stash of craft supplies.
I love the updated look and how easily I can change it for the seasons.

Nothing is glued on, just tied with sting...
and it only cost me my time and a bottle of craft paint!

Beautiful doesn't mean expensive!
Have a great day.....Brooke

_________________________________________________________

Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    
I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

12 comments :

  1. That is SO pretty! So creative to come up with something lovely and inexpensive at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job. I love the candlesticks and the color is so pretty! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet and I love the burlap touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I have some candlesticks that could use some foofing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, Brooke....looks perfect for your soon to be redone room. Looking forward to seeing what you chose for furniture. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is better with burlap. Great upcycle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that burlap makes everything look charming. :)
    I never thought to add a jar candle to the candlesticks....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really gorgeous! Lovely idea too! Visiting from Shabbilicious Friday Link Party! Thank you for sharing!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs and love from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out beautifully! Love the paint job and the little accessories are icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is so pretty! I love the color and the way you accessorized. You did a awesome job. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the makeover of the candlesticks! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! Sometimes it's nice to change things up a bit. I have a set of two black candlesticks I've been hashing over the idea of painting them white. Love the little embellishments! We've been waiting on a new entertainment center for about a month now. Looking forward to decorating around it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!