Monday, November 24, 2014

DIY - Antique Style Makeover for Bright Gold Holiday Decor

Welcome back dear friends!
If you follow me on Facebook this is a project I was talking about last week.
A fun, simple way to repurpose some of your holiday decor.
 This is how my little collection of angels started.
I have used them for at least 10 years this way.
But with my lighter colors this year, they were just too bright.

So today I am sharing how I took them from too gaudy gold...
to shabby sweet in a few easy steps.

 So I started with my flat cream colored craft paint....
and used a q-tip to get into the crevices.
 My Morgan was my helper... she likes to paint for me.
 We were not trying to completely cover them...
but give an aged look with a bit of the gold still showing.
This is how I finished them...
I used cheap sand paper and lightly sanded them till more of the gold showed thru.
Then I take a dab of brown shoe polish on a paper towel
(the wax kind) and just highlighted them.
I focused on the raised parts like faces and hands.
This is how they look before and after the brown wax...
Left one is before and the right one is the after.
See how much prettier the highlights made them!
Here is how they started again...
I just love how sweet they turned out.
 
I have a cream, burlap and lace them going this year with a FEW bits of gold.
 So these will match perfectly with my vintage style.
 With the painted makeover I now think they could be used any time of the year.
You could do this to any of your bright gold accessories.
I have two more angels to paint and then on Friday you can see my home on the tour!
'Christmas in the Country' starts in just five short days folks!!

Happy Holidays and God Bless!

xxx...Brooke

_________________________________________________________
Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  Brooke has started doing freelance photography work, contact her for your business or family photography needs.  She also provides social media training and services including graphic design work for other websites and area businesses.
    


Starts Friday, November 28th thru December 12th right here at Creative Country Mom's!
I will be featuring 38 blogger Home Tours and a two week Chrismtmas themed Link Party.
Subscribe now to see all the homes and decorating ideas!
I can't wait to see and feature all the wonderful, creative holiday posts!

Christmas In The Country - Blogger Holiday Home Tour and Link Party on Pinterest.

I am linking to the parties found below this post on my page.
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

2 comments :

  1. What a great idea and beautiful way to update the look of those angels, yet age them to match your décor.
    Thanks for sharing and have a blessed Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how these turned out Brooke! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!