Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Fall Roses and Tuesday Garden Party 10/28

Welcome to the final Tuesday Garden Party of the 2014 season!
For the last share I wanted something extra special to share.
And the roses are blooming so pretty this week.


 So I took some lovely shots before the wind blew off all the petals.
 We have had lots of weather this fall.  Mostly rain and wind.
 But this past weekend was beautiful.
Perfect to enjoy the lovely blooms.
 Trying to soak them up to last all winter.

To see more of my roses and the names of the ones I grow...
Visit My Rose Garden Page



From your host this week, Jami of An Oregon Cottage:

Welcome to the last Tuesday Garden Party of the 2014 season! We have so enjoyed your gardening posts, recipes, decor, and inspiration through the season - thank you so much for partying with us! However, it's that time of the year, sweet friends, when many of us shut down the garden and most of us at least (even you southern gardeners!) wind down a bit as the holidays loom and the weather turns colder. And our gardens are shutting down as well - my garden, as well as Michelle's, Brooke's, and Shelly's, are still producing a bit of fall produce like chard, kale, and broccoli as well as a few flowers. But mostly, we're cutting back, mulching, and prepping for winter.

Let's use this last TGP to share what we're doing in late October with our garden produce, or to prep for winter - and mark your calendars now for the start of the 2015 season on February 1st (a whole month earlier than in the past, so we can share about seed-starting and spring garden preparations)!



While I've been pretty honest in the past about my 'lazy gardening' - I do just what I have to, as I simply don't have the time and I can't stand to garden in the cold and rain - there are a few things I do every year to prepare the garden for winter.

Must-Do Tasks To Prep The Garden For Winter:
  1. Cut back perennials that become ugly as the winter approaches, like hosts (you can see in the photo above how they look so much worse than the other plants...) and day lilies. I leave others with seed heads to provide interest and bird food...and because I don't want to have to cut back everything!
  2. Cut off ratty looking foliage of evergreens (for me, this is mainly lamb's ear and brunnera)
  3. Dig and divide the perennials that need it - usually hostas, blackeyed Susan, and day lilies.
  4. Mulch areas that didn't get it in the spring or certain plants I want to give extra protection to (which is only about 2 - most have to survive on their own in my garden!).
  5. Plant bulbs for spring (tulips, daffodils, crocus, allium) flowers.
  6. Plant garlic and compost some of the bigger spent vegetables in the edible garden. I always admire those who completely clean up their vegetable gardens in the fall, but I never get to it all until probably February.
What are the must-do tasks you're doing now to get your gardens ready for winter?

Even though the links were fewer at last week's TGP as everyone is winding down in the garden, there were still some great ideas, tips and inspiration to be found! Here are the features I chose:



1. Cute pumpkins face idea from Minnie's Milestones.

2. How to deal with common gardening mistakes from Schneider Peeps.

3. Winter storage for potatoes (loved the shredded paper idea!) from Grow a Good Life.

4. Garden planning for next year from Garden Matter.

5. Fun garden infographic from Prudent Living.

Okay, let's make this last TGP a good one - show us what you're doing for winter prep, what you're cooking from the garden or how you're decorating with natural elements!

To Join the Co-Hosted Garden Party:
Link anything garden related: what's growing/blooming, tips, ideas, progress, harvests, recipes using the harvests, preserving tips and recipes - even garden decor (but, please no other decor links - lets keep to the theme). Links will be open from 5:30am (PST) Tuesday through 11pm Thursday of each week.
Please link directly to your blog post URL, not your blog homepage URL. Please do not link Etsy stores, giveaways, or other link parties.
By linking up to the Tuesday Garden Party you are giving the four blogs,listed above, permission to feature your project and/or photos on our social media outlets and blogs.
If you wish to be featured, please include the “Tuesday Garden Party” button or a text link in your linked post (feel free to use the button found on the host's blogs).


Thanks So Much For Visiting!

xxx...Brooke

Brooke Berry Kroeger writes at the Creative Country Mom blog. There she shares her photography and country lifestyle. She enjoys incorporating vintage finds and repurposed treasures in her Southern Indiana farmhouse and garden. She is an avid gardener and grows a cottage-style free flowering “mass of color” landscape. She also does a video series called “Notes From A Country Garden” on YouTube.  She loves to talk about gardening and decorating and often lectures at local gardening education events and area organizations and clubs.  
    
 Looking to share your own home and garden posts? 
Add them to the Tuesday Garden Party right here at 
I am linking to these wonderful parties.
*** I have recently switched to Google Plus comments, if you cannot use this program, feel free to email me directly at creativecountrymom@gmail.com.***
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!