Thursday, April 25, 2013

Favorite Plants - Carol Mackie Dahpne


Today I wanted to share with you the beautiful blooms of my Carol Mackie Daphne shrub.
I called it 'Alba' yesterday on Facebook, but that is the other one I have with smaller blooms.
This is the first time my Carol Mackie has bloomed and I am delighted.
As you can see it is a smallish shrub now, but it will mature to about 3'.
Best of all, it is a pretty evergreen that looks good all year.
What's not to love?

Here is more good info...
Daphne x burkwoodii Carol Mackie


Type: Shrubs
Height: Short 2-3' (Plant 30" apart)
Bloom Time: Early Spring to Late Spring 

Sun-Shade: Full Sun to Half Sun/ Half Shade 

Zones: 5-8
Soil Condition: Normal, Acidic 

Flower Color / Accent: Pink / Pink 


Garland flowers are prized for their early spring bloom of exquisitely fragrant palest pink flowers in profusion. Must have good drainage. Good as a specimen plant, or in groups. Each leaf is perfectly edged in cream. As with all Daphnes, good drainage is essential.

Features to Note:
Deer Resistant
Winter Interest
Fragrant
Evergreen
For a sunny spot

General Information:
Daphne are exquisite in fragrance and appearance. Requires a well drained soil, and patience. Not a fast growing shrub, but so very worth the wait. Semi-evergreen, it may be evergreen in its southern most range. 


Plant Care:
Best to leave unpruned. Grow in humus-rich well drained soil that does not dry out. Mulch to keep roots cool. Does not like to be moved once established. Avoid "wet feet". 

Hope you can enjoy a Daphne in your garden too!
It's worth looking for!!

Happy Gardening....

Like to see more of my photography, garden and home? 
 I would love to share it with you.  You can follow my site or you could receive
my posts directly into your email.  Lets keep in touch!
 Add Creative Country Mom's Garden To Your Reader
Add to Google Reader or Homepage

My Garden Group on Facebook, Join us!
"Take my life and let me be, a living prayer, my God to thee."

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!