Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Places To Visit - The Azalea Path Arboretum and Botanical Gardens (Part 1)




I have a special treat for you this week in my Planning A Spring Gardening Series...

I am going to feature the garden of a dear friend, Beverly Knight. 

A living legend in my Indiana community. 

She has been one of my gardening mentors since I met her in 2006.

She and her husband have done almost all the work on her property...

this is no small task... it is a HUGE GARDEN.

Together they made a treasure trove deep in the woods in Southern Indiana.

I am very fortunate to call Bev a friend and neighbor.

She lives about 10 miles from me!

So if you ever can visit us, you can see both our gardens in the same day.

Lets take a look and then I will tell you how to find The Azalea Path online.

These pictures were taken April 29th of 2011.

(Early Spring Here in Indiana)


These first few images are of the entrance to Bev's garden.


She love to incorporate recycled items.


Spring is the best time to visit the gardens.


This is just the road leading into the parking areas.


More repurposed treasures among her vibrant azaleas.


There are so many places to stop and enjoy the garden views.


Beverly's garden is mostly shade, but so colorful and vibrant.


She features so many different types of plants one cannot help but be inspired.


Beverly love for her property and plants is shown with such care.

She has already taken steps to make sure it will be here for generations.


Started in 1979, Beverly Knight took an overgrown forest and magically created a gardener's piece of art.

Azalea Path Arboretum and Botanical Gardens is a nonprofit and privately owned facility located on the Gibson/ Pike County border in Southwestern Indiana.

What began with 15 acres and only a few azaleas and perennials has flourished into more than 4,000 azaleas plus a large variety of unusual plants and native Indiana trees.
"Azalea path has one of the largest collections of azaleas in the Midwest, if not the largest."

-Robert E. "Buddy" Lee
Past President of the Azalea Society of America
and a leading hybridizer of Encore Azaleas

Nestled along the back roads between Gibson and Pike County Indiana are hidden gardens called the
Containing one of the largest collections of azaleas, it hosts many unusual and ornamental trees. 
Meandering pathways lead to water features and unique sculptures.

Come and join us for a nature walk you will never forget.


1502 N. County Road 825 W 
Hazleton, IN 47640 
ph: (812) 640-9133 
azaleapath1502@yahoo.com 

This is just the first post in our tour of Beverly's garden.
Come back again this week.... There is so much more to see!
Thanks for visiting...

Like to see more of my photography, garden and home? 

I would love to share it with you. You can follow my site or you could receive

my posts directly into your email. Lets keep in touch!


I am linking up to the parties found HERE.

Let's continue the tour...
Here is Day 2
and Day 4!
Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I would love to go there! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!