Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pink Roses…

IMG_5690
All photos taken this week in my zone 6 Indiana garden…. we are in a serious drought and over 14 inches below normal rainfall. 
IMG_5615
My love for pink roses knows no end…  I have yet to meet one I did not want to grow.
IMG_5680
So when I planned my raised beds in the rose garden they were welcomed in masses.
IMG_5614
Even with our horrible dry weather they are blooming beautifully. 
IMG_5655
Giving me a new show with every open bloom.
IMG_5640
These pictures were taken last Sunday evening.
IMG_5705
After a light shower of less than a half inch of rain.  That is our only rainfall since early May.  Areas around us got measurable rain this week, but it has missed us by mere miles.
IMG_5707
But the good thing is the heat is down a bit to low 90s/high 80s.  The nights have been much cooler giving the plants a bit of a break.
IMG_5639
Enough that I have been working in the garden again cleaning out scorched plants and dying leaves.
IMG_5646
So far I have hauled off 13 washtubs full of garden debris….. leaving large spaces in the garden looking exposed.  I debated about doing a post about the plant damage, and it made me so frustrated, so I just went into full garden clean up mode.
IMG_5709
But I am hoping if we do get additional rains and cooler weather they will fill back in. 
IMG_5711
My roses are definitely stars of the garden right now.  I wish more areas looked like this.
IMG_5650
But if you remember this is the area I did the shade tent and focused the majority of my attention to.
IMG_5658
The tent is now down, but it was still up in these shots.IMG_5651 
It worked really well, I took it down because we have had wind and I thought it would be torn up.
IMG_5634
As long as it is under the 100 degree mark I don’t need it and I pray we stay cooler for a bit.  I feel with my trusty hose I can battle no rain, but those days of horrible 105 highs were the final straw for so many of the things I grow. 21 of 23 days now we have been above 90.  Way too many.  Next chance of rain is the end of the week.  Fingers crossed.
IMG_5669
Right now I am back to my every three days watering of the roses.  It seems to be a good schedule, only the containers need every day watering.
IMG_5692
Here you can see an overview of the beds and the tent after that bit of rain.  Sometimes you gotta use what you have and I am so glad I did!  More pics to come…. :)
IMG_5694
Happy Gardening….Brooke

Roses featured:  Queen Elizabeth, Raspberry Swirl, First Prize, Crescendo, Amber Flower Carpet
-------------------------------------------

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life 
Tracie's Fishtail Cottage's Cottage Flora Thursday
Time Travel Thursdays at Brambleberry Cottage
Open House Thursdays at No Minimalist's Here
 Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple
Rural Thursday Blog Hop at A Rural Journal 
Treasure Hunt Thursdays at From My Front Porch To Yours
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Creek Cottage 
Creative Things Thursdays @ The Vintage Farmhouse


6 comments :

  1. Beautiful roses and garden

    Drought and heat here too in western pa ( though a slight cooling now )

    Run around every morning before work watering all flowers and veggies...

    I was just thinking this morning that it would be nice to have rain do that job and I could just enjoy a morning but sitting a bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your roses are doing beautiful despite the dry weather. Here, the rain is down 80 percent since last season; I hope it comes soon, especially for the farmers.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your roses are beautiful :)

    New follower from the Blog Hop
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! I have been thinking about your corner of the world where I imagine it's even hotter and drier than here in Wisconsin. It's amazing that the plants look as good as they do... I know our well water can't begin to compare to rain... stay cool... Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke! your roses look so happy! i have had to trim most of mine back (yes, they are naked) lol so much black spot this year from all of our rainfall...hoping to see new growth soon! thank you for sharing your beauties over here at Fisthail Cottage! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had so much heat damage this year too - even some of my liriope got burned. The tent is a brilliant idea! So glad your roses are doing so well. I have hauled so much garden debris it is a wonder anything is left - it is a good thing to do though! I thoroughly appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!