Thursday, July 19, 2012

July Lowe’s Challenge --- Win a $50 Gift Card!

IMG_5962
Welcome Dear Garden Friends!  It is HOT, HOT, HOT here in Indiana!!  We are still in a serious drought and I am in full on watering mode.  Today I am sharing with you a little before and after.  The best thing is…. YOU CAN DO ONE TOO!  I will be giving away a $50 gift card sponsored by Lowe’s!

Here is my before, oh ho sad it was.  My hostas just could not handle all those days above 100 degrees with no rain.  They will be okay, they just look horrible.  Plus I had this little fountain that was almost invisible from all the leaves.  I was tired of trying to keep water in it.  With it being so hot, it was in danger of burning up my pump.  So as you can see..  this is a good area for a MAKEOVER!
IMG_5946
Before I had a few perennials in my window boxes.  Hostas, coral bells and penstemon and I left them in there.  On normal years they do quite well, so I did not take them out, but removed the crispy leaves.  Previous years I have added caladiums to them and they did fantastic, so I added three different colors of them.  Plus I picked up some sun loving vincas in red and white.  I also love the red superbells and picked up a couple of them and some whirlwind white fan flowers.  They are both Proven Winner varieties.  The best thing is all of the annuals were 50% off at my local Lowe’s.  So I was able to get more plants for less money, love that!  This project was about $50 including new soil and mulch.


So here is the after, it looks so much better!  I cleaned up the whole area removing damaged leaves and wow did it make a huge difference.

I raised up my container so now you can actually see it.  I can’t wait for the plantings to fill in…. they will be three times this size in no time.  But wow, what a difference.

I love caladiums and have had some success digging them in the fall and wintering them over to replant next spring.  These white ones are so beautiful, I will definitely try to save them.  They are much more vibrant in person.

I matches my porch that is all done in Americana… I love to use red, white and blue so this is perfect for my country home décor.

I will be taking more pictures as it fills in, so look for them coming soon!
IMG_5959
Now is your chance to enter!  Click here to tell me how you would use a $50 Gift Card from Lowe’s!  You can enter once per day, contest ends July 27th!  Good Luck!!
Gold-Lowes_thumb
Thanks so much to the good people at Lowes Creative Ideas for letting gardens like me get their hands dirty and their creative mojo working overtime. I am so excited to share with you my upcoming projects.
6274895600_0acdcbea8c_thumb
Being a part of the Creators and Influencers Garden Team been a dream come true. Its so much fun to create something so special and then sharing it with you my dear friends and readers. Please if you are not a follower consider becoming one so you can see more of my upcoming projects.
web-logo_thumb
Take the time to visit Lowe’s and see what's blooming, I’m sure you’ll be glad you did!
Don't forget to check out the Lowes Creative Ideas Blog and Facebook Page. They now even have an account on Pinterest!
Happy Gardening ~ Brooke

-----------------------

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life 
Tracie's Fishtail Cottage's Cottage Flora Thursday
Time Travel Thursdays at Brambleberry Cottage
Open House Thursdays at No Minimalist's Here
 Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple
Rural Thursday Blog Hop at A Rural Journal 
Treasure Hunt Thursdays at From My Front Porch To Yours
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home 
Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Creek Cottage 
Creative Things Thursdays @ The Vintage Farmhouse

Share Your Creations Party at Kristen's Creations
Tootsie Time's Fertilizer Friday
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home Party at The Charm of Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
 Sweet and Simple Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme 
Farmhouse Friday at Laurie Anne's Vintage Home
Inspiration Friday @ The Picket Fence

20 comments :

  1. I love your revamp Brooke.

    I would use it try revamp my phlox bed. Some of them have powdery mildew and I cannot get rid of it and it just makes the whole bed look awful. Besides that the heat has that bed looking bad from yellowing and dried leaves. Heat tolerant plants are really needed there and I would love to put in a large urn in the middle where there is a tree stump to help fill in the space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would use it to buy organic materials for my garden to improve the soil.

    Your place always looks so beautiful. You really have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same problem in here too, Ontario, Canada , no rain for some weeks. My foxgloves are dying, but my hydrangeas in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the same problem here in Ontario , Canada, no rain for some weeks. My Fox gloves are dying, but my Hydrangeas in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would redo my front yard garden completely. Need more color!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would add more pea gravel to my garden paths and buy more hydrangeas. I have a hydrangea lab where I layer them from my old Nikko and where some have been given to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like the whole country has just been burning up this summer. My garden is limping along- I am getting ready to put a bunch of mulch down to help the water retention some.

    Your landscaping is so pretty! Wish I were better at it-

    ReplyDelete
  8. My "garden" could use some sprucing up -- not doing well in this heat.

    Thank you so much for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such a shame Mother Nature was
    making each part of the country suffer
    with some sort of weather.. I'm drowning
    in rainy season down in SoFlorida and the
    Midwest is burning up in heat!
    I wish I could send some rain that way!
    Nice post
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty yard!! I am a Lowes Creative Ideas blogger too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the fun little contest. I'm always loving a good before and after, especially outside where there is so much opportunity to use color. If I won, I'd buy some plants and patio lights. I love to keep my back patio lit with little lights at night year round in lieu of security lights. It always makes for a nice atmosphere.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brooke...your gardens are so lush and pretty! i love all the textures you have in the garden....thank you for linkingup to Fishtail Cottage's garden party this week....did you see i put my poppy seeds in my etsy store this week....thought of you when i did so...xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found you on "My Romantic Home" blog and I am glad I did. I can't believe it is so hot up North. Here in Louisiana it is hot
    but we are use to it. Your beds look so good now with your redo.
    I would use the card to redo my front bed which has hedges in it
    from 1974, yea a little outdated. Thanks for the chance and I will
    be back to visit.

    reeree1949@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty much a close neighbor to you here in Western KY. This heat is just too much for anything living. I've tried everything to keep my plants and trees alive. This coming weeks we're in for more. Great idea with the tent. I could use a few of these. I've been covering some of mine with sheets. It don't help with the heat but it has with the burning. I think I have some Hostas to match your. Keep cool and pray for cooler temps. and rain. You have a gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty much a close neighbor to you here in Western KY. This heat is just too much for anything living. I've tried everything to keep my plants and trees alive. This coming weeks we're in for more. Great idea with the tent. I could use a few of these. I've been covering some of mine with sheets. It don't help with the heat but it has with the burning. I think I have some Hostas to match your. Keep cool and pray for cooler temps. and rain. You have a gorgeous garden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea on using the tent. I've been doing pretty similar things being pretty close to you in Western Kentucky, we've had the high temps up to 108 during the day. My Hostas match your crispy ones. I've tried everything from covering shrubs with sheets to blocking sun with cardboard. I took one of my old patio umbrellas and set it up over my Japanese Maple so it didn't fry. Praying for cooler temps and beneficial rain for the entire country. Love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sad to hear about the drought but you garden look very pretty after the makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this wonderful makeover on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love Lowes too!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hang in there Brooke. Your garden is looking good! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. My garden sure needs help in this heat! I would use use it to purchase mulch for water retention. Would love some new large plants.

    I adore your double delight roses on the sidebar! They are breathtaking! Many thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday! Hope you will make it a weekly party stop!

    Stop by to enter my giveaway for a really unique cheese platter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!