Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hello---I'm Back!


Hello dear readers and new friends!
I have been offline most of the last 10 days or so.  Have you missed me?
I had a few posts scheduled, but have been MIA for the most part.
Hubby was off work for most of that time.  It was nice having him home,
but he's got to go back so I can get some things done!
(Besides cooking that is!)


Here is the front walk from last weekend.
We are still so horrible dry, still no rain to report.  And temps this week have been near 100.
So I have watering down to a science.
This has been a good year for my phlox, it has been such a bright pop of color.
That has been my impression of this summer, everything looks dull and dirty.  All the plants seem faded, too much sun, not any rain.  Everything just needs a good wash down.
 So what have I been up to?
 Lots of time in the lake.  I have swam almost every day the last two weeks.  The water feels fantastic.
 Lots of time with the girls, we have been working on their bedrooms. 
 And I have painted their bathroom, I will post pics when it is done.
 Back to school shopping, I can't believe school starts in 10 days.
 And watering, did I mention I have been dragging the hose non-stop.  We'll almost, we have decided to just water the beds around the house and then every 10 days or so water the outer beds.  They look horrible, but I do not think they will die.  The lake is down 4 feet and we are a little concerned about our well.  So now I am just in "keeping it alive" mode vs. "display garden".
 But it has surprised me how some areas look good considering this drought.
 The thing I notice the most is how plants are stunted and I have not had any new growth in shrubs and trees.
I know we will have to wait to see what has really been affected.  It might be a year or two before I see all the damage in my plants.  Right now we have lost 4 maples, 5 evergreens, 3 viburnums, a chokeberry and two roses.  Most of those were out by the road or in areas that were not watered as often.  Many were first year plants.  I now have 35 containers under the deck or in the shade, trying to dig plants and doctor them.  Hopefully I will replant them in the fall, but they could be in waiting till next spring.

Thanks so much for stopping by and if you are visiting please consider becoming a follower.
Happy Gardening....
Walk in the Gardens with This Grandmother's Garden First Views with Town Mouse and Country Mouse End of Month Review by The Patient GardenerGarden Tuesday @ Sidewalk ShoesJami's An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party
"Ms Green Thumb" Jean's Bloomin' Tuesday
Susan's A Southern Daydreamer's Outdoor Wednesday

10 comments:

  1. My plants are suffering through this too. It's just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Brooke! It's great to take a break from blogging for a bit, but you've certainly been keeping yourself busy with both fun and work. It looks like your garden is holding up really well despite the drought. I'll wish some rain your way to help your beauties get freshened up for the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden really does look lovely, drought or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke,

    Your gardens look amazing despite the crazy weather we have had this year. Beautiful phlox - mine became snacks for the bunnies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This drought is terrible! Here in Memphis we are usually just in survival mode garden-wise by August -- but this started in June!! And I know how lush southern Indiana usually is -- your pics look like they could be in Texas! But your plants look pretty good, all things considered. Is the watering can on the post a yard art/water feature or is it just a can set on the post? I like it as art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are back. I feel so sorry for all the drought stricken folk, wish I could send some of the rain we have had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking remarkably good considering the drought. I think your idea of just watering near the house is a good one. The plants there can cheer you up while you avoid looking elsewhere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy your posts! The yard is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining in the end of month meme. Your garden looks lovely and I know you are fed up with the heat and drought but here in the UK we are fed up with rain and grey skies so to see blue skies is a real treat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is so lovely. I'm having a really hot summer too. Lots of watering chores. I don't have much to look at now, though some of my phlox are putting on a second show - I love that about them!

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!