Saturday, June 30, 2012

‘Notes from a Country Garden’ Video– “Extreme Heat and Roses”


IMG_5458
Happy Saturday and Happy Weekend Dear Garden Friends…  I was up and at in pretty early this morning in the garden.  Set the sprinklers at the butterfly hill to give it a nice long drink.  I have been watering the rose garden and front beds late at night after it cools off a bit.  Still no rain and it is just so horrible hot and dry.  Last two days the high was 105 and 107.  We are 11 inches below normal rainfall and no precipitation since early May.  I am anticipating cracks in the ground any day, it is a dust bowl here with our gravel road.  I am only outside in the very early mornings and late evenings, and honestly, I miss being in the garden.  Here is a video I did yesterday showing how I am trying to help my roses in this horrible heat…
Click to view my rose garden…
IMG_5455
One good things is we have been doing lots of things with the girls and swimming often in the lake.  That is about all this weather is good for.  Even our dogs love how good the lake feels this week.  I have been fretting over how hot it will be for the holiday.  Every year we have several friends here at the lake.  I can remember many a year it being cold and even raining… I’d take either of those.  But I guess we can all just get on a floatie and watch the fireworks IN THE LAKE this year!  Yes, it looks like they will be doing them, at least I haven’t heard anything to the contrary yet.
IMG_5457
These pictures were all taken before I put the shade tent up.  If you did not see that it is on the video I had at the beginning of this post.  It has helped SO MUCH, I cannot tell you how much cooler it feels and it makes me feel like I accomplished something to save this area a bit of stress.

Honestly this is the best the rose garden has looked since early spring.  I just hope it can hold on till it cools down a bit, but that is looking like it will be at least a week away.

But enough about the weather, lets get to some blooms!  These are just a few of the roses I have blooming this week.  I will take more pictures when it cools down this evening…
IMG_5529
Coral Flower Carpet Rose
IMG_5332
IMG_5530
Enchanted Evening Rose
IMG_5336
IMG_5337

Caribbean Dream Rose

Our Lady of Guadalupe Rose

IMG_5441
IMG_5442
Tropicana Rose
IMG_5445
Queen Elizabeth Rose
IMG_5534
Double Delight?  Maybe??  That is what I bought it as, but it looks a bit off to me, but it is a lovely roses none the less.
IMG_5504
Thanks so much for visiting and please consider becoming a follower!
~Brooke~
--------------------------------

Homemaker on a Dime's  Creative Bloggers Hop Sunday's at 5.
Chari's Sunday Favorties at Happy to Design 
Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper
Your Sunday Best @ A Rural Journal
Sunlit Sunday with My Little Home and Garden
Sisters of the Wild West Sunday Link Party

This Week In My Garden @ The Little Round Table
Cowgirl Linkup Party @ The Farmhouse Porch 
Show & Tell @ The Delectable Home
Cozy Home Party @ Your Cozy Home Scenes
Favorite Photo Monday  

The Country Garden Showcase @ White Wolf Summit Farmgirl

More the Merrier Monday at The DIY Home Sweet Home Project


Garden Tuesday @ Sidewalk Shoes
Jami's An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party
"Ms Green Thumb" Jean's Bloomin' Tuesday


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden and great images. I love your pink fence bench in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such delightful roses...I can smell them all the way out here in West Texas..:)
    I love your pergola...I am wanting a large one for our patio....
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope you get some rain soon, Brooke. It's dreadfully hot here too in Nebraska and I'm watering 2 times a day right now to keep all alive.

    Beautiful roses -- and Thank you so much for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how pretty my mother in law loved her roses and would have loved your variety as well.

    come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/06/lemonade-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roses are beautiful, and I like your creative solution to provide some shade. I have wished for something similar for my hydrangeas. Our temps here have also been 100+, though that is not so unusual for our summers. I am hoping for a thunderstorm this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing post - and a beautiful garden!
    I'm your newest follower - would love to have you visit and follow back:)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have lovely roses, even in the heat. I don't think that is Double Delight, although I don't know what it is. It is beautiful. Your Enchanted Evening Rose looks just like one that I have that I have not known the name of. I hope there is a break in the weather for you soon.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for linking up. We are experiencing the same thing here. Every single morning I water my garden, and by evening, everything is wilted again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a gorgeous garden.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...