Monday, June 18, 2012

My DIY Picket Fence Bench, A Lowes Creative Ideas Project!

IMG_5163
When I saw that the Challenge for the month of June was a furniture challenge I knew just what I wanted to do.  If you have read my blog for any amount you know my love for picket fences.  So when I saw this lovely bench a few weeks ago I knew what I wanted to do…. or what I wanted my sweet hubby to help me with.
IMG_4439
This bench was for sale outside a small shop in a nearby town.  I actually wanted to get it but it did not pass the husband check.  You know what I mean… they look at the price first, then tell you what is wrong with it.  Lol…  But he had a good point… 
#1 – We (he) could make it ourselves.
#2- It was not heavy enough and would blow over or get damaged in our winds here on the hill.  I was with him on this point.  We have had so many things broken in strong storms since we have lived here.
#3- A combination of he didn’t want to haul it home and it was a bit pricey.  I think it was $125.00 if I remember right.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So here is the run down of what we used on this project…
10 pickets at $1.47 each ($14.70)
8 Pressure treated 2 by 4’s at $2.37 each ($18.96)
Package of 3'” Deck Screws ($6.65)
Package of 2” Deck Screws ($6.65)
Quart Olympic Exterior Paint (12.37)
3 piece Whizz General Painting Brush Set ($9.99)
Total:  $69.32
IMG_5167
So each month I am asked to do a project for the garden sponsored by Lowes Creative Ideas and you guessed it.  I had my WONDERFUL husbands help on this one.  Now, could I have done it myself, I’d like to think I could… but we both have some control issues with our power tools…. so it’s best he was in charge of this one.  But I did help him every step of the way, and I love that we did this project together. 
IMG_5885
He actually has built quite a few things for me for the garden.  The biggest was my potting bench two years ago.  I laugh and say you could dance on it, and this bench is the same, made to last and not fall apart.  Did I mention it is heavy as all get out?
IMG_5150
So let me start out by saying is there anything more fun than starting a new project?  I love seeing the pickets knowing they would soon be my new bench!
IMG_5151
So we set up a work station off the garage and let me tell you, it was extremely hot last Saturday when we were doing this.
IMG_5152
So the design was very straight forward.  He made two “h” forms to the depth and height we decided.  IMG_5154
The upward part of the “h” was to attach the back brace and pickets.
IMG_5153
He attached the slats for the seat and then supported the legs with cross braces.  He did a cross piece to connect them front to back and lengthwise.
IMG_5157
Then he attached the pickets to the top and seat evenly.
IMG_5158
Then just for fun we attached the finials.  We could have done arms, but I liked the option of having the sides open.
IMG_5161
We ended up with an extra picket and decided to put it across the front of the seat.  It had the design only on one end, so my husband traced it and cut the board with a jigsaw to match the opposite end.  I love the finished look.  Here it is before….
IMG_5169
And after!  Now, about this color.  Would my husband have chose that color?  Absolutely not, I think he would have preferred the blue.  But I love color, and the way I see it…. It’s only paint!   I am so happy I took the risk and used it.  It really POPS!
IMG_5170
Plus it matches my plants perfectly… like the butterfly bush behind it and the pink coneflowers.
IMG_5172

Gold-Lowes
Thanks so much to the good people at Lowes Creative Ideas for letting gardens like me get their hands dirty and their creative mojo working overtime.  I am so excited to share with you my upcoming projects. 

6274895600_0acdcbea8c
Being a part of the Creators and Influencers Garden Team been a dream come true. Its so much fun to create something so special and then sharing it with you my dear friends and readers.  Please if you are not a follower consider becoming one so you can see more of my upcoming projects.
web-logo
Take the time to visit Lowe’s and see what's blooming, I’m sure you’ll be glad you did!
Don't forget to check out the Lowes Creative Ideas Blog and Facebook Page
They now even have an account on Pinterest!
IMG_5165
One last look and one more thanks to my sweet husband for helping me!
Thanks so much for stopping by and please consider becoming a follower.
Happy Gardening…. Brooke
LowesCreativeIdeas
Click to get your free subscription "Creative Ideas Magazine", I might be featured in it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Update in a little over a year this has become my most popular post to date!
Over 10,000 visitors and tons of readers have made this bench!
Thanks so much for making it such a great project!***

Here is the bench from last summer....
 It now resides in the rose garden...
And still gets lots of comments!

~Brooke~

33 comments :

  1. OMG - the color is SPECTACULAR ! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

    thanks for sharing...
    gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bench!!!!!!! I know what my next project is going to be. The color is awesome! Great to have a hubby to help too!,

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all so very lovely, Brooke! Love the bench. Your husband did such a great job on it! The color is so pretty, too. I enjoy listening to your voice on the video. You have such a pretty and clear voice. Too many people muffle a bit on their videos but, you speak so clearly. I enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jean. Yes, he's a keeper!

      Delete
  4. Love this bench. Ok, MrsRoseDiva says she has to have one... Please send dimensions,etc....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... it is 4 ft long and the seat is 18" high. I am not sure how high the back is. I will look and get back to you Chris. Yes Tina needs one!

      Delete
  5. Thanks For sharing this interesting blog, Please continue this great work. if anyone wants more information about picket fences go on following link..
    Picket fence panels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bench as I love pickets and the color. I painted our patio set last summer purple and all the neighbors love it....of course we do too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the bench looks great! Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable bench! So cute!
    Would love if you stopped by my linky party to link it up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful bench and a lovely garden! You've inspired me to get going in the yard. Blessings, Dani

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy flip! You guys did such a great idea! Just lovely! Visiting from Kristen's Creations. Would love it if you would share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday link party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-it-pretty-monday-week-2.html Wishing you a grand day. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY MY!!! This is just pure FABULOUSNESS! The prettiest thing I have seen all week...I just want to stare at it! Brooke....what color is this called? It is beyond beautiful! You and your hubby did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love! Congrats to the hubby for being such a great helper! Lol.

    Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just a great bench I love it and the color is fantatic.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out really cute! Great job! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post. Now I know what to do with leftovers for the picket fence project we're planning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post. Now I know what to do with leftovers for the picket fence project we're planning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now there’s something you don’t see everyday! The fence bench looks great. It would easily blend in a garden or maybe as part of the actual fence, with the bench serving as pot holders, like what you did in the picture. I would probably just use a natural stain for a more “woodsy” look. :)

    Marvel Farias

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are awesome. What a good idea. I have been redoing my fencing in Waterloo and this would be a great way to use my old wood fence scraps. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really nice and awesome fences design, I really like it very much.

    Privacy Picket Fence

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Morning, Your lovely bench, put a smile on my face this morning. I too have a blog, please check it out at simplebutfabulous.blogspot.com

    I have a question......What did you do to get the comments to show up at the bottom. I have a comment section and it will show it has 1 comment, but you can't see it unless you want to leave a comment. I think because it is kinda hidden, no one leaves one

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is adorable. My hubby is very handy as well so I try to keep him busy:):)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow so pretty i couldnt do that so i had to call the professionals lol We recently bought a house in Wellington, FL and needed to replace a fence that was literally falling apart. We figured we needed a completely new fence installation so we contacted Fence Crafters. I would highly recommend them. Their materials were quality and their crew was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brooke, I know this is an older post, but how can I resist pink in any shade....or roses! Will you share this at Five Star Frugal this week? I'd love to have you. Love, Mimi xxx
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/five-star-frugal-15the-pink-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello,
    VERY NICE POST. And the displayed Contemporary Garden Bench is just enhancing the beauty of this garden. I loved it very much. Thank you too much........

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!