Monday, June 11, 2012

Loving These Beautiful Summer Days

All Photos Taken This Week In My Garden In What I Call ‘The Butterfly Hill’
page2
I just have to tell you I am having a wonderful summer.  Just perfect.  And I don’t know what is so different about this year, but I have been enjoying myself immensely.
IMG_4826
The garden is looking great, but that is not what is making me so happy these days.
IMG_4812
It’s been everything I think.  I just love having the girls home everyday.  I am not like one of those parents that counts the days till school starts back up.  I love having everyone home everyday.
IMG_4813
Today I made a big lunch of baked turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, yeast rolls and pineapple upside down cake.  Lol…. no, I do not cook like that every day.  But I am trying to cook more.  It’s just more fun when everyone is here to enjoy it.
IMG_4824
It’s kind of like it is Sunday everyday.  A bit laid back, family time….  Enjoying the lake and the animals and each other.
IMG_4814
This weekend was a perfect example…. The girls spent Friday night at my parents camper with them.  They’ve just had their camper a few weeks and the girls ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.  They have a permanent site at a local campsite that is on a large lake.  So the girls ride their bikes and swim at the beach.  They never want to go back home.
IMG_4815
They are making wonderful memories with my parents.  I am so blessed to have the best relationship with my mom and dad.  I have even been staying in the camper about one night a week.  It is so peaceful out there.  You really feel on vacation, away from the rest of the world.
IMG_4825
But my hubby will tell you I am on a permanent vacation since I am not working right now.  Lol… he is probably right.  But I have so enjoyed spending time with my mom and the girls in that camper!  My dad takes off and goes back home after we eat in the evenings and says he’s gonna make a sign saying “No Boys Allowed” for the door.  But honestly I have probably spent more time in the last month with my mom than we have for the past years time.  It’s been nice, I have even been looking at yard sales for camper stuff!  Lol… any excuse.
IMG_4859
My cousin who is more like my sister has her camper out there too for a few days, so we are looking forward to hanging out with my niece who will start school next year.  My girls love their little cousin, they should have all been sisters.  We try to spend as much time as possible together.  They even take my kids on vacation with them.  We spent the day at their pool Saturday and even though the water was freezing, it was so much fun for the kids to play and us to visit. 

Yesterday we swam again in the lake and I spent quite a bit of time in my raft with a drink in my hand.  The girls are big enough now to swim on their own, and mostly wear lifejackets in the lake.  So mom and dad can relax.  I swear that is one of my most favorite feelings in the world…. floating in the lake with the blue sky and breezes.  It is so beautiful out here.
IMG_4830
Hubby has been playing quite a bit of golf and even traveling with it to area clubs.  I too have been going to garden lectures and events.  We both kind of do our own thing and it works out well for us.  We both love it here on the lake and try to spend as much time as possible home when he is off work.  Why go anywhere else when it is so nice in our own backyard?

But we are trying to plan a big trip for this winter.  I am excited about it.  My husband has a weeks vacation in July every year, but I hate to travel when it is nice here.  I would much rather go somewhere warm when it is winter here.  But I think he knows if he is off for that long I will have him doing projects.  :)

The house is 6 years old this summer and we need to paint around the doors and touch up the deck and window boxes.  I will probably start on those this week, but we will also be doing a ©Lowes project this week involving making a garden bench.
IMG_4865
I’m excited to get started.  It will be inspired by some benches we say on our trip in May.  It will be a “Picket Fence Bench” meaning the back will be made to look like my fence in the rose garden.  I am trying to decide what color to paint it.
IMG_4866
Right now I am thinking either Robins Egg Blue or a bright Lime Green.  I love color and either one would look good where I am going to use it. 
IMG_4867
Our neighbor, bless his heart, gave us a bunch of scrap wood last night.  Yes, Ms. Repurpose me was all over that.  I have new pieces for shelves, a side table… and who knows what else.  Much of it is stained and looks good as it is…. but a few I will paint.  I love to make things instead of buying everything.  So look for some new projects coming soon. 
IMG_4868
In my haul I also picked up 5 posts that I want hubby to bury in this garden to put birdhouses on!  They are aged and notched and have tons of character.  I can’t wait.  Now if I could just talk him into making the birdhouses.  Some days I think I am just going to go for it and build one myself.  I would love to start making my own birdhouses like the ones you see in magazines.  But I have enough unfinished projects for now!
IMG_4869
Wow, this has turned into a chatty post!  But I wanted to let you know what I’ve been up to.
IMG_4922
And all the little ideas going on in my head!
IMG_4925
I look forward to another group of visitors coming next week to tour the garden.

Right now is a really good time to see it with the roses getting ready to bloom again and all the daylilies and summer perennials blooming.

The grasses really started to show their color this week.  I love to use big clumps of grasses on this hill, they are fantastic.
IMG_4923
Okay, wow…. I bet you didn’t expect that big of a post and chat huh?  Lol… Well I thought since I haven’t been spending hardly any time online you might want to know what I’ve been up to.  Thanks so much for all the wonderful comments and your friendship dear readers.  I feel like I know so many of you like you just live down the road.  It has been such a wonderful experience sharing my garden and life here.  I hope you are having a wonderful summer as well. 
Many blessings and Happy Gardening….Brooke
----------------------------------------------------------

Garden Tuesday @ Sidewalk Shoes
Jami's An Oregon Cottage's Tuesday Garden Party
"Ms Green Thumb" Jean's Bloomin' Tuesday

7 comments :

  1. It is all simply gorgeous Brooke. I love your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke,

    Your garden tour was spectacular! How gorgeous with all the blooms and the lake in the background. You sure have a peaceful place to reflect with a garden bench too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is absolutely gorgeous. Wish I could take a tour. I know what you mean about not needing to go on vacation when you have so much right there close to home.
    I was like you in that I did not look forward to my boy going off to school. It's great having him home. Have you considered homeschooling?
    Glad you are enjoying the summer and the company of your folks. You are blessed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke, Sounds like you are enjoying life! Good for you. Your gardens are lovely, Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are gorgeous and it sounds like you are having a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! So nice that you are able to spend time with family, and your garden looks gorgeous as always! Those daylilies--wow is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful place to live and garden. The grounds look so well tended and green. Thank you for coming to Your Cozy Home Party. I am glad you are having a great summer with your family. That's what life is all about, I believe. ---------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!