Sunday, June 17, 2012

Finally the right plants in my HOT CONTAINERS!

IMG_5006
Do you have a place where you want to have a pretty container but it is just almost too hot to mess with one?  That was me for the past 5 years, I had thought I was a good enough gardener to keep plants going in this hot area, but every year I struggled. 
IMG_5007
But this year has been fantastic, and you want to know the best part?  It only cost me $2 for some annual red vincas.  Yep, that is it!  Why?  Because I dug the rest up out of my garden! 
IMG_5008
I have been collecting sedums for a few years now. So I went around pretty early this spring and dug up starts of 7 different kinds that I had.  Things like hen and chicks, Autumn Joy, Purple Emperor, Matrona….  you get the idea.
IMG_5010
I also added groundcover sedums and they are going to fill all the low areas and spill over the sides. 
IMG_5005
I am loving the look of the darker leaves with my brown pots.  And the best thing is that it doesn’t have to be blooming to look nice.  In the middle of each pot is a yellow variegated evergreen called Gold Splash Euonymus.  And yes, that too was a division dug up in the garden!  I love that!!  It will be tough and give me some winter interest.  The best thing is everything should come back year after year. If we do have a really rough winter, they are right by the garage and I can bring them in, but I am not expecting to have to do that.  Easy is good!
(My garage door isn't really yellow, these were taken really early in the am!)
IMG_5009
Here is an idea of how big they are compared to Jake here.  They are about 30+ inches tall and growing.  I love the idea of taking starts out of your garden and not buying new plants for your containers.  My window boxes for the last 2 years have been coming back without replanting.  It saves me so much time and money. 

Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Gardening!
~Brooke~

1 comment :

  1. The containers look great and I love that you were able to plant them from your garden plants. Sedums love the heat. Their shapes are great against the garage too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!