Sunday, June 10, 2012

Early Summer Blooming Hydrangeas

page
Happy Sunday Garden Friends!
IMG_4799
  Today I am sharing with you some of my many hydrangeas in bloom.  This is just the early ones, more are coming later in the summer.  But these look so fantastic this week I took these pictures to remember them.  This honestly has been the best they have ever looked…
IMG_4851
Most of my early blooming hydrangeas are all along the front of my house, facing North.  They get a bit of morning sun, then shade the rest of the day.

The majority of this front border is 3 years old, but a few things are first year since I added things like crazy last year.  I found 4 more spots for hydrangeas this week.  Yep, I will be looking for more to add to my collections.  I think I am up to 17 different kinds now!  Did I tell you I love them?
IMG_4792
Well lets start with my huge pink Nikko Blue.  It is so pretty and always pink for me.  What a great old-fashioned style mophead.  But it stays very clean for me and the leaves are very green and healthy.  This one does need the water.  It is the first one to wilt if it gets dry, but pops right back after a drink.  All hydrangeas need plenty of moisture to do their best.
IMG_4790
Next is probably my most commented ones…. the Light ‘o Day or 'Variegata' variegated hydrangeas, I cannot tell the difference, I think they are the same plant.  Even experienced gardeners ask want this plant is when they tour.  I would grow it even if it never bloomed.  And for two years it didn’t.  It gave me beautiful color, but no blooms.  But this year it is FILLED with blooms.  I have two of them together and they are both beautiful this year.  I don’t know if it was the maturity or the weather, but I will take it.
IMG_4791
Here is a close up of the blooms.  They are white with purple/pink touches.  Beautiful.
 This is not the best picture, but one of my favorite ones is Serrata Preziosa.  This is the one I can never think of the name of when I have visitors.  I need to make a tag for it.  It is very unusual with dark burgundy leaves in the fall with red stems.  The blooms darken as well and it is lovely for the fall garden.  There are two here and they stay under 3’ tall.
IMG_4793
Here is probably the prettiest one this week.  It is Glowing Embers, and it is fantastic.  Mine is only a year old and still a bit small, but look at those blooms. 
IMG_4794
They start out lime green, then age to a melon pink still with green accents.  It is fantastic.  Very healthy pretty green leaves too.  Strongly suggest getting this one.
IMG_4846
This one is an Endless Summer variety called Endless Lace.  It is a rebloomer and a lacecap with a bit different kind of leaves, they are almost a lime color.
IMG_4847
It suffered a bit with the late spring frosts, but it blooming nicely.
IMG_4848
I like that it is pink on pink with the centers and the open blooms the same colors.
IMG_4805
Here in the back is my 2 year old Invincibelle Spirit.  It is filling out under the window box quite nicely.  I look for it to get a bit larger and really give a show for years to come.

Here you can see I have quite a few Paniculatas getting ready to bloom.  The one in the front is Pinky-Winky and next to the porch is Limelight.  I enjoy that I have early and fall bloomers.  It gives me something to look forward to.

So one more thing I want to mention is I have had great success rooting hydrangeas from cuttings.  If you have a friend or neighbor who has a variety you’d enjoy you might try taking a cutting.
IMG_4921
I find the old fashioned mopheads the easiest to root, but I will try to do a few of my newer varieties this fall.

Thanks so much for stopping by and please consider becoming a follower!
Happy Gardening….Brooke
-------------------------------------
Mosaic Monday @ Little Red House
Macro Mondays with Lisa's Chaos
Metamorphasis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch
Keeping it Simple's, Motivate Me Monday's
Boogie Board Cottage's, Masterpiece Monday's
This Week In My Garden @ The Little Round Table
Cowgirl Linkup Party @ The Farmhouse Porch
Show & Tell @ The Delectable Home
Cozy Home Party @ Your Cozy Home Scenes
The Country Garden Showcase @ White Wolf Summit Farmgirl
Homemaker on a Dime's  Creative Bloggers Hop Sunday's at 5.
Chari's Sunday Favorties at Happy to Design 
Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper
Your Sunday Best @ A Rural Journal

21 comments :

  1. Your hydrangeas are beautiful. I have to ask, what kind of sun do yours get? I have a few colored ones and I only get a few blooms on them, I was told it was because they were in afternoon sun and they should be in morning sun. I want to plant more but I am worried that I am planting them in the wrong spot. I would love all they help you can give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alaina, what a pretty name! Mine get morning sun only, except for the wood stemmed ones called Paniculatas (example Limelight, Pinky-Winky, Pink Diamond, Strawberry Vanilla) <<--- Those can take more sun. But the broad leaf old-fashioned ones need shade and moisture. That is the key! Thanks for visiting and good luck!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your garden is beautiful. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers. I so love hydrangeas and the hostas look perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke, your Hydrangeas are gorgeous! I love them but have not had much luck with them here in UT. I got a start of one from a friend this Spring and so far the plant is doing great. I have a linky party, Share Your Cup Thursday. I would love if you shared some time.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann I will check it out, I didn't have that one on my list. I enjoy parties, seeing everyone shares!

      Delete
  5. I loved seeing all your pink hydrangeas. The best I can do is the new Invincibelle from Proven Winners. The mop heads just don't perform in our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, yes I love the pinks! I would try a Limelight for sure, if you can grow Invincibelle Spirit, I bet you could other paniculatas. Good Luck!

      Delete
  6. You have a beautiful garden. Hydrangeas are among my favourite flowers. I love the blue ones best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lorrie, I love blues too but they all turn pink for me unless I grow them in a container. <3

      Delete
  7. Hello, neighbor! I'm just down the road a piece here in Newburgh! You have a wonderful garden! Well done! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! Yes I love Newburgh and get down there a few times a year. I am 35 minutes from the Lloyd, come visit if you'd like!

      Delete
  8. Your hydrangeas are impressive ... as is your garden! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a fabulous garden!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breathtaking, Brooke! What a fabulous garden you have.

    Thank you so much for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hydrangeas are stunning! Mine were planted last year and aren't much larger this summer but they are about to bloom. I have given them some alpaca manure hoping they will grow a lot this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, gardens, the Hydrangeas just shine beauty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!