Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Japanese Irises in the Rose Garden

IMG_4348
Welcome to my rose garden area that this week is a bit short on roses!  Why?  Because I felt they needed a ‘restart’ and I trimmed them all back quite a bit.  I had a bit of blackspot and spider mites popping up, and it is too early to be battling that, so I gave them a good trim.  So now you can see all the lovely irises blooming… lets take a look!
IMG_4365
Here you can see the lavender blooming and the ‘Shogun’ Jap. Irises.  
IMG_4355
They are so pretty together, although next year I doubt my lavender will be blooming this early.
IMG_4356
The lanterns are also a new addition to this area, I had them in my basement for a couple years… they look much better in the garden!
IMG_4357
The long petals look a bit like long puppy ears, but the color is fantastic.  Much brighter in person.
IMG_4363
It looks a bit bare to my eyes here with the roses cut back, but that is why I enjoy growing companion plants for interest and color even without your rose blooms.
IMG_4366
Here is a project I did recently.  I used a heavy duty sealant to stack three large vases for a topiary.  I love the green glass.  I do not usually like glass in the garden, but I had these pieces and just went for it.  I take it in if it is predicted to storm.  
IMG_4349
Here is the other side of the fence in bloom.
IMG_4353
Hollyhocks and salvias are stealing the show.
IMG_4352
But the lilies are about the pop and my 2nd flush of roses is starting any day.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
~Brooke~
-----------------------------------------------------------


Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life 
Tracie's Fishtail Cottage's Cottage Flora Thursday
Time Travel Thursdays at Brambleberry Cottage
Open House Thursdays at No Minimalist's Here
 Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple
Rural Thursday Blog Hop at A Rural Journal 
Treasure Hunt Thursdays at From My Front Porch To Yours
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Creek Cottage 
Creative Things Thursdays @ The Vintage Farmhouse

14 comments :

  1. Hi Brooke,
    Your garden is looking lovely. I too have issues with my roses. Right now they are doing okay but something is making holes in the leaves..I have my soap and water bottle ready and have sprayed them, but we just had rain so will have to repeat the process tomorrow.
    Gardening is an on going battle that I just love..No place I would rather be!
    Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is a marathon. I too have had some things eating on my plants this week. I finally feel caught up after being gone on vacation. But I agree, it is all worth it!

      Delete
  2. Brooke- I am always amazed coming here just how beautiful your gardens are. You have done such a wonderful job on your whole property. It is amazing- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diana! Wish you could see it in person!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing your garden - it truly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke! thanks so much for linking up to the garden party today! i love coming by to see what you are up to! Everything is always so pretty! i adore your holly hocks - that color is so vibrant against the fence! hope you have a fabulous rest of the week! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracie! I love your party and adore your home and garden! You too, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Your gardens are SO beautiful! I wish I had as much open space as you do. Everything you've done looks really great. Glad I had a chance to stop by your blog today.

    Take care,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely garden -- I've always wanted to try Japanese iris.

    Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello - I love Iris in the garden - they to me are the Ladies in Waiting in the Court of the Garden. I love to see flowers co-mingling together in their beauty - such a delight. I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lovely garden, Brooke. And I like your garden totem. I actually have some items put away in one of the barns to create one myself. One day! ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!