Thursday, April 26, 2012

‘Witching’ Iris, Frost Damage and Front Walk…

IMG_3816
Well it seems to be warming up after another run of cold weather mixed in after weeks of summer like weather.  It has been so hard on many of my plants.  I feel I have done my best to protect them, but we will not know for sure for a few weeks.  Many of my Jap. maples have lost over half of their leaves and look stunted.  Other things like crepe myrtles and altheas took the frost poorly, but I hope they come out of it in time to bloom later this summer.  Things like hostas, astilbies and ferns look fried.  Many were leafing out again after the first big frost here over a week ago, then we got an additional 2 nights of cold.  They will be okay, just set back a bit…. they were so beautiful this year.  :(
IMG_3817
Here you can see my big ‘Nikko Blue’ mophead hydrangea has a bit of damage, but still looks pretty good.  I covered it with a quilt…. “tucking it in” to handle the cold.  I lost all my blooms 3 years ago and missed them so much, it is quite large and so beautiful.  I did all I could, but this weather is crazy.
(Sensation Alliums and Mountain Bluet are the purple and blue blooms.)
IMG_3818
All in all, Sunday and Monday night I covered 25 different shrubs.  I was almost taking the sheets off of our beds to cover everything, even my husband was out there helping in the effort, checking the weather for me.  I just have so many plants anymore.  I only try to save the ‘front walk area’ the ones in the back and outward are on their own.  Actually, everything looks pretty good considering.  The roses look a bit crispy and the blooms are darker, yet opening.  This time the irises didn’t get too affected.  I had some bend over and fall the last freeze, but it did not get quite as cold this last one.
IMG_3820
Here is a lovely first time blooming iris in my garden…. ‘Witching’.  Usually I am not a fan of brown irises, but for this one I will make an exception.  It is so soft and frilly with a light purple, bluish accent.  It is on the smaller size, place it near the front of the border to enjoy.
Thanks so much for stopping by and please consider becoming a follower.
Happy Gardening….Brooke



n1299302749_2030_thumb1_thumb_thumb
I garden in Southwestern Indiana, Zone 6b. Garden tours are available during season. I also lecture and freelance write for gardening sites. If you are interested in my content, please email me for more information.
If you are in my area I have reblooming and hybrid irises and daylilies for sale during early fall. I also have select heirloom seeds for sale or trade.

Linking to:

Blooming Friday with Roses and Stuff
Tootsie Time's Fertilizer Friday
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home Party at The Charm of Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
 Sweet and Simple Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme 
Farmhouse Friday at Laurie Anne's Vintage Home
Inspiration Friday @ The Picket Fence

My posts are also shared at:
Gardenchat_logo_reasonably_small422
WebGarden-Icon22
All photos of my own home and garden ©Brooke Kroeger – Creative Country Mom
email622222222222222[2]facebook_logos-7522222222222222[2]twitter-logo422222222222222[2]rss-128522222222222222[2]email-updates_thumb142222222222222[2]blogspot523222222222222[2]



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...