Thursday, April 12, 2012

More Fabulous Early and Mid-Season Irises

 

I am trying very hard this year to photograph all of my varieties of irises as they bloom.  As you may know, we had a hard frost in the Midwest last night and it is to be equally cold tonight.  I have been die-back in my groundcovers, crepe myrtles, butterfly bush, and perennials.  I am hoping the roses and irises will bounce back, some are a bit droopy today.  I am covering my hydrangeas and many things, but the garden is so large I have to accept some losses.  I am amazed how quickly tender foliage turns black, so sad.  But we have had weeks of 80 degree temps, but we knew all along this could happen.  So I hurried and took pics of these irises before I the temps dropped. 

IMG_3503

IMG_3505

IMG_3511

IMG_3510

‘Next in Line’ is a pretty rebloomer that changes in color as the blooms age.  It starts out a very dark grape and ages to a softer lilac edging.  Very strong veining and ruffled.  Attention getting in the front border this week.

IMG_3513

IMG_3529

IMG_3514

IMG_3530

IMG_3515

IMG_3517

‘Lady Friend’ is just stunning in a mixed border.  I love the dark burgundy/rose color, very vibrant and just glows.  Is probably in my top 10 list of varieties.  Lovely, but once blooming.

IMG_3524

IMG_3523

IMG_3525

‘Good Fairy’ is this precious pearl pink.  It is so sweet, it radiates in the rose garden area.  Simply perfect.  And it is a rebloomer!

IMG_3534

Unknown white with purple accents.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
If you are visiting for the first time, please consider following me.
If you leave me a comment I will follow you back!

~Brooke~
 


n1299302749_2030_thumb1_thumb_thumb
I garden in Southwestern Indiana, Zone 6b. Garden tours are available during season. I also lecture and freelance write for gardening sites. If you are interested in my content, please email me for more information.
If you are in my area I have reblooming and hybrid irises and daylilies for sale during early fall. I also have select heirloom seeds for sale or trade.

 
Linking to:
 
Tootsie Time's Fertilizer Friday

 
My posts are also shared at:
Gardenchat_logo_reasonably_small422
WebGarden-Icon22
All photos of my own home and garden ©Brooke Kroeger – Creative Country Mom
email622222222222222[2]facebook_logos-7522222222222222[2]twitter-logo422222222222222[2]rss-128522222222222222[2]email-updates_thumb142222222222222[2]blogspot523222222222222[2]

8 comments :

  1. Those are really impressive flowers, great captured in the pictures. And I love that cute cat in the background :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that is Toby, you cannot go out in the garden without him following you around. He's a sweetie.

      Delete
  2. Love your gorgeous iris. Pretty garden. I'm your newest follower. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, I'm in 6b in southern IL. We had a bit of a frost Wednesday morning, but nothing was damaged in our garden, thankfully. Our irises are beginning to open. We also have 'Lady Friend' though she hasn't bloomed yet. Thanks for sharing your beautiful blooms! Happy FF! ~~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady friend was a recent addition, so that was her first blooms for me. I really enjoyed the saturated colors. I wish I was as lucky with the frost. I am noticing more damage every day.

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!