Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pops of Red in the Spring Garden

IMG_3100

IMG_3102

IMG_3103

IMG_3101

I have to admit I do not associate red as a color in the spring garden. But of course I grow anything I can get my hands on and all are welcome in my borders. So when these red tulips bloomed for the first time this years I was quite fascinated. So much so that I took several pictures of them over the last few days. I now think I need to plant MORE red tulips… with some of those blue bulbs I’ve been wanting! Yes, that sounds like a good plan.

IMG_3129

IMG_3130

On with that thought, is this little primrose not the sweetest little thing?  I wish they bloomed longer.  This one is perennial and has multiplied a bit.  I saw more at Lowes but I think they were all annuals and a bit pricey.  I do think I will add more of these tough.  Speaking of I found a really pretty early dianthus called “Early Bird Radiance” It is suppose to bloom a month earlier than other dianthuses.  I grow several varieties of them, love their blooms and sweet scent.

Here is more about “Early Bird Radiance”

From Greenhouse Grower

Dianthus 'Early Bird Radiance' has rich crimson blooms supported on sturdy, upright stems. The Early Bird series are early, long-flowering and fragrant. Masses of double blooms are borne above the dense, mounding, grassy blue-green foliage with a flowering height of approximately 9 inches. Spring or autumn planted baskets or containers will repeat flower all summer if dead headed and fed regularly. No vernalization required for blooming and they are hardy to USDA Zone 5.

Plants thrive best in loose, well-drained, neutral to slightly alkaline soils in full sun or part shade. Early Bird dianthus can be used as border plants, in containers or as cut flowers. With a clove fragrance, this selection attracts butterflies and has the added bonus of being deer resistant.

It looks really pretty and I love the red color and the early bloom time!  Look for it, I think you’ll want one too!  There are several colors in this Early Bird Series, I just liked the red to try… but I’m thinking of adding a few more now…. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

If you are visiting for the first time, please consider following me. If you leave me a comment I will follow you back!
~Brooke~
email622222222222222[2]facebook_logos-7522222222222222[2]twitter-logo422222222222222[2]rss-128522222222222222[2]email-updates_thumb142222222222222[2]blogspot523222222222222[2]
All photos of my own home and garden ©Brooke Kroeger – Creative Country Mom

4 comments :

  1. Oh my, so pretty! It must be absolutely delicious to see your flowers after the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i simply love your primroses. They remind me of picking the wild yellow ones when I was a child. Love to hear your birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red is such a bright, cheerful color in the garden! Beautiful dianthus you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your site, blog and Pinterest. You keep me so inspired. I am a total plant addict.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!