Monday, January 9, 2012

Thoughts on a Monday Morning…

Untitled-1

(The photo above is by me… a peony from last Spring. I cannot wait for them to bloom again! I planted 20 peonies last summer, they may not bloom for a few years, but eventually I will have quite a show!!!)

Pretty deep for 7:30 in the morning huh?  But truth is, I’ve been awake since 3:30… Oh, tell me about it.  It’s going to be a long day… Or a good day.  That is what I am writing about, how to remember each day is a miracle….

How did I end up with this free time?  Here is the recap.  Night shift hubby who never sleeps well comes to bed at 3 am with 170 pound dog, make room for both in king size bed.  Both fall asleep breathing loudly.  3:30 I finally decide to get up and go downstairs.  3:45 husband and dog come down to see why I am up.  We continue to watch 2 different TVs in two different rooms, the dog goes back and forth.  4:30 I finish reading blogs on my tablet and go back to bed.  5:00 I give up, get dressed and start making breakfast…..  Then you get the picture from there…. the school bus comes at 7:30 and the girls are happy that I cooked this morning….  Even did a cute braid in little sisters hair.

So why is this a Miracle?  We’ll that is a bit of an overstatement, but I am trying to be thankful for all the little things lately.  We all should be.  We are able to decorate our homes, garden, travel…. so many are not that lucky.  I have been frustrated by the little things lately, and I have been trying to focus on the big picture.

As basically a stay at home mom, it is easy for one day to slip into the next.  Cook, clean, haul kids around, groceries, pay bills….repeat. 

I can remember people telling me the older you get the faster the days goMan where they right.  I feel like I can just sit still and watch the weeks fly by.  What am I so busy doing…. Good question, I am not gardening this time of year, but it is everything.  But good things, like actually cleaning after taking down Christmas.  I always feel better when this house is picked up.  )Even though in 12 hours you can hardly tell.)

Plus I have been making jewelry again.  I made several necklaces and earrings as presents and have been really inspired to do more this winter.  I make most of the things I wear, I love….love… love jewelry.  I will do some posts soon of the things I am making.

But the biggest thing I want to do is learn to sew.  My parents got me a sewing machine for Christmas and I am having a blast playing with it.  The first week I just fixed things like hems… but yesterday I made three pillows and I have the fever to make about 100 now.  I love pillows on my porch swing and for my bedroom….  I am so inspired by the things I see on blogs now and pinterest….

So I am not saying my life is perfect.  It is anything but.  I have been having headaches and my knee is still a mess.  I still haven’t found the perfect part-time job for extra spending money, but I substitute teach when the school needs me.  I think in the next few weeks it will pick up, but it is not reliable.  I would love to find a local job in horticulture, but  most of my favorite places are at least 35 miles away, a bit too far to drive unless the pay was more than I am thinking they will offer. 

I have been getting requests to lecture, but that too is more for fun.  I have been really active in garden activities around Indiana attending several conferences.  I will continue to do so this Spring and have met so many new friends.  Really enjoy seeing local/state gardens.  I hope to be in a few upcoming publications, I have been asked to do a few freelance pieces this winter.  It will be the first time I’d have anything in print, which is very exciting for me.

So what does all this rambling mean?  I am a happy, content wife…. mom…. gardener… writer… decorator…. friend…. teacher…. artist…. you name it.  I am thankful for this Monday morning and every day before and after.  And actually, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I hope you too are feeling the blessing in your life.  I am so thankful for your friendship and for your kind words.

Happy Gardening….Brooke

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!