Sunday, December 11, 2011

Favorite Flowers–Peacock Orchids

IMG_1787

After attending the Indianapolis Spring Garden Show at the Fairgrounds in March of this year I was very excited to try several new bulbs.  I had specifically looked for late summer and fall blooming additions looked forward to new blooms as other blooms in the garden were finished.

IMG_1786

So when I came across this delicate looking bulb at a vendor I knew I had to try it.  If anything for the name, Peacock Orchids.  Anything with the name Peacock must be beautiful right?  I had seen these growing in masses in photographs from botanical gardens, but until this year have never grew them.

IMG_1785

They came up rather quickly, with thin blades of grass like foliage.  They remained rather unnoticed for many weeks, taking up little space, and I had actually almost given up on them.  Then I had a gardening friend post pictures of hers blooming and I rushed out to check on mine…. sure enough it had several ready to open!

IMG_1790

I instantly fell in love and watched it bloom for about 4 weeks from Mid-October until Mid-November.  I have been waiting for the foliage to die back and I will harvest the bulbs to dry in my basement to replant next spring.  I have plans to add it to several new places in my gardens.  I have been told I might try leaving it be, but I hate to risk loosing it.  It is hearty in zones 7 and above.  Below is more information, hope you will give it a try!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abyssinian Gladiolus, Peacock Orchid, Fragrant Gladiolus, Sword Lily
Gladiolus murielae

Category:
Bulbs
Tropicals and Tender Perennials

Height:
24-36 in. (60-90 cm)

Spacing:
6-9 in. (15-22 cm)

Hardiness:
USDA Zone 7a: to -17.7 °C (0 °F)

Sun Exposure:
Full Sun

Danger:
Parts of plant are poisonous if ingested
Handling plant may cause skin irritation or allergic reaction

Bloom Color:
Scarlet (Dark Red)
Maroon (Purple-Brown)
White/Near White

Bloom Time:
Mid Summer
Late Summer/Early Fall
Mid Fall

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for visiting and please consider becoming a follower!

Happy Gardening….Brooke

email62222222facebook_logos-752222222twitter-logo42222222rss-12852222222email-updates_thumb14222222blogspot52322222

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful I enjoy your shares from the garden Thank you Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown these in the past and must concur... they are a lovely plant! Larry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!