Monday, December 12, 2011

Favorite Flowers–' ‘Clementine Rose’ Columbine

IMG_5632

Today I am writing about one of the best examples of beautiful plants to start easily from seed.  That is Columbine, in this case, a pink variety called Clementine Rose. It is an early bloomer that begins in Early May about the same time as the lilacs and irises.  A welcome addition after months of waiting, it is a true sign the garden is coming alive again. 

IMG_8689

But the foliage has been up for weeks. Cute little puffs of a delicate grey-green beginning in Early April as pictured here.

IMG_5633

I know most of you probably grow Columbine in abundance, it is a wonderful pass along plant to share with friends.  I too have had it in several gardens over the years. But I must tell you, some varieties I do not care for. So when I first saw Clementine Rose, I was not quick to purchase.

IMG_5440

Then I realized this variety was quite different than the other wildflower type varieties I had known.  It was a very delicate multi-layered bloom.  It is so soft and delicate.  And it is quite dwarf!  It has never fell over for me and stays at around 18 inches in bloom.  Not to 3 feet or better the wild ones grow to. 

IMG_9188

As you can see here, it fits neatly as an under-shirt for shrubs.  I also enjoy the foliage for its all season interest.  It reminds me of Shamrocks, all curvy and sweet.

IMG_9343

I have it in several places now after growing it for about 3 years.  But my favorite is here my my rock steps, it is a good spiller and filler.  And the best part is, once the seed pods start to open up, you can just shake them over the areas you want new ones to grow.  My girls did that for me a couple of years ago and they loved the noise they make.  I now have several colors of new hybrid Columbines, but I think Clementine Rose is hard to beat…. don’t you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Aquilegia vulgaris ‘Clementine Rose’


Common name : Clematis-flowered Columbine

Sun Exposure
Full Sun
Partial Shade

Blooming Time
Early Summer
Late Spring

Height
12-18 inches

 
Spread
10-12 inches

A unique series of Columbine, featuring fluffy double flowers that resemble a small Clematis bloom, held up facing on stems, well above the lacy green foliage mound. This selection produces blooms in shades of rose pink with a yellow center. Flowers are attractive to hummingbirds. Great in containers. Removing spent flowers will increase the blooming time. Great in containers. Since Columbines are relatively short lived, allow some of the plants to go to seed and self sow, however, resulting seedlings may not resemble the mother plant. Leaf miners or sawfly may disfigure the leaves around flowering time. Simply trim off the ugly foliage and the plants will grow fresh leaves. A Fleuroselect Quality Award winner -- More Info 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for visiting and please consider becoming a follower!

Happy Gardening….Brooke

email62222222[2]facebook_logos-752222222[2]twitter-logo42222222[2]rss-12852222222[2]email-updates_thumb14222222[2]blogspot52322222[2]

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!