I am happy to announce I will be hosting a two week event here at Creative Country Mom's! I will have over 30 holiday decorated blogger home tours and a two week Christmas themed link party!
Christmas in the Country Link Party and Home Tour 2014 at Creative Country Mom.com
Add the button to your posts and link them to www.creativecountrymom.com!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Roses in December!

Notes from a Country Garden…. Roses in December!
December 01, 2011
IMG_2097
Last year I remember writing about frozen roses in December, but this is something altogether different!  Mine are still blooming!  Well, not as lovely as before, actually they look quite sad, but they are still going!
IMG_2115
Most of my garden has been finished for about 10 days now since we have had some hard frosts.  But this area is slightly protected with the house and wing-walls.  It keeps the winds from the plants and soaks up whatever sun we have been getting. 
IMG_2098
We have had SEVERAL inches of rain and yesterday it snowed over an inch, then quickly melted.
IMG_2114
I at first thought the roses were frozen in bloom, then noticed that new ones were opening in the sun today.
IMG_2088
Many were facing downward, and I think that is what protected them a bit.
IMG_2113
But as you can see many of the roses have over 15 blooms still on them and buds ready to open.
IMG_2101
It is a rare treat to be putting up the Christmas decorations and roses still blooming.
IMG_2080
I have been drying a few blooms this year and I think I will go back out and collect a bouquet.
IMG_2081
I can then mix them in with my dried hydrangea blooms in my bedroom.
IMG_2087
One thing I enjoy about cool season blooms is the color changes, you never quite know what they will be.
IMG_2091
Pink roses look peach, yellow turn cream….
IMG_2092
And the cool days make them last much longer…
IMG_2095
So delicate, I had many petals fall as I photographed….
IMG_2103
The light was just magical, just enough moisture to glisten…
IMG_2105
Petals so thin they were almost transparent….
IMG_2106
And quite a few had good scent this late in the year.  It was quite cold, low 40s today.
IMG_2107
This is one of my favorites, just every shade of pink/peach/yellow/cream all blended in one.
IMG_2123
But there is something about yellow roses, they just glow in the late fall.
IMG_2122
You can see these from across the yard, they are beacons of light.
IMG_2093
Rose hold such promise, the promise of blooms to come in the Spring, each one more beautiful than I remembered.  Thanks so much for stopping by and sorry for such a long post.  But in Indiana this is quite a rare thing and I wanted to make sure to remember it.

Happy Gardening….Brooke

email6222facebook_logos-75222twitter-logo4222rss-1285222email-updates_thumb1422blogspot5232

Popular Posts