Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Strawberry Vanilla Hydrangea in the Fall…


Notes from a Country Garden…    November 22, 2011

Every year I fall in love with a new hydrangea.  This year has been no exception.  Many times we see beautiful images in our glossy garden magazines and lust after the luscious blooms.  I can honestly say that I have not been disappointed with “ Strawberry Vanilla”.  It was a very small plant when I received it and it took off and bloomed the first year.  I have it directly between two windows in hope it will fill out and be seen from both rooms.  It starts out pure white and then slowly turns pink as it ages.  I especially enjoy the look of it this week with the mottled, faded colors.  This is one to find next spring and enjoy for years to come!

IMG_1858

IMG_1857

First Editions™ Vanilla Strawberry® Hydrangea
Hydrangea paniculata 'Renhy' (PPAF)
  • Full sun
  • Height: 6-7'
  • Spread: 4-5'
  • Zone: 4-8
  • Foliage: Medium green
(Following photos from the web)

Vanilla_Strawberry2

This one reminds me a bunch of Limelight Hydrangea.  It is super tough, strong upright blooms and similar in size.  Give it lots of room to stretch out and grow.  It can be the highlight of your garden for weeks on end.  Plus, it can be grown in the sun…. so for hydrangea lovers like me that are running out of shade, this is one for you!

Happy Gardening…..Brooke
email6222facebook_logos-75222twitter-logo4222rss-1285222email-updates_thumb1422blogspot5232

2 comments :

  1. My seniors pine for their hydrangeas from up north. It's too hot here in S. FL for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would plant more mums and if they have any hydrangeas left I would also plant more of them. I just received a Vanilla Strawberry and will be planting it in a new flowering bush garden I started this year by our fence. So far, everything is doing well and I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like next year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!