Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Fall Grapevine Basket

IMG_1052
IMG_1054
IMG_1057
IMG_1058
IMG_1060
IMG_1062

Yesterday I attended the Indiana State Meeting for the National Garden Club.  Our local garden club was responsible for an item for the silent auction.  I had volunteered to do a fall basket at our last meeting.  Here is what I created from a yard-sale Grapevine Basket.  I lined it with a disposable tin turkey roaster…. bent into the bottom of the container.  This worked really well, and I had a good deep planting area.  I used two yellow garden mums, a dwarf sunflower, a yellow trailing annual zinnia (from seed, love this one), yellow and purple violas and two clumps of sedge grasses.  To give it a finished look I used some florist moss.  It will help keep in moisture and maybe not spill out soil when handling it. 

We had a budget of $25.00, and I spent every cent.  But half of the plants are perennials and the basket can be used over and over…. getting it for $2.00 at the yard-sale was key.  But the ladies at our meeting really enjoyed it.  It has been a hot, dry summer…. so something new and fresh looking was a treat. 
In all there were about 60 gardener from all around the state of Indiana.   I met several new ones, and a few I had chatted with last year.  Many are not online, I kept telling them how much fun they could be having meeting gardeners on Facebook! 

Thanks for stopping by and Happy Gardening….Brooke

8 comments :

  1. Such a lovely basket! It would cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Basket ! I love to Garden and share ideas with others as well. Looking forward to following your posts. If you are interested my Blog site is " Vintage Whispers and Memories" I just started Blogging. :-)
    ~MA

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely basket Brooke.I use wicker baskets a lot in the summer as planters but I never thought of a Fall basket. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone in here. It is a lovely basket. Great for cheering up someone. And will look great as a centerpiece on a patio table. It's garden in a basket or miniature landscaping :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful basket! So Fall and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Brooke :) What a charming Fall feeling basket!
    I was in my garden yesterday...finally cooling down a little..thankful we are under 100 degrees~~Yeah!

    Pop by if you have moment, I just planted an old rusty bike basket full of petunias for my garden...I cannot wait for Fall!

    xo
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the basket, love the idea of using a foil pan pressed in to plant with. You've givene some great inspiration - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The clarity in your post is simply cool and I could assume you’re an expert on this subject. As a first time visitor to your blog I am very impressed. Say thanks a lot for your efforts to have decided to put these things together on this blog. Continue with the great work on the site. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!