Friday, September 30, 2011

Fall Blooming Garden Borders….

Notes from a Country Garden… Last Day of September, 2011

“What’s blooming in the Fall Borders?”

IMG_1197

Sweet Alyssum….. I just love this little beauty!   

It is so pretty, smells wonderful and self-seeds every year for me.

IMG_1198

It blends so beautifully with the purple moss verbena, another self-seeding annual.

IMG_1122

Things are changing every day in my garden… did you notice how fall looking the trees are in the background?  We have had a horrible, dry summer…. but this last week it has rained over 3 inches.  I am wondering how much fall color we will get, or if all the leaves will fall too quickly.  Fall never seems to last long enough to enjoy it.

IMG_1125

My limelights are still looking good even though the blooms are faded to shades of green and browns.

IMG_1126

This area on the left-lower side is all new added in June of this year….. it is coming along!  The new Magnolia is doing great in its new home.  I have added many of my new “fancy” daylilies and reblooming irises here.  I am still having water problems in this area.  So I guess it will be my “bog”.   I needed an area for some water-lovers anyway… so much of my garden is full sun.

IMG_1130

Pink Double Knockouts are blooming machines.  There are 5 in this area now…  I love how you can see them from the road as you drive in.

IMG_1198

On the right  you can barely see my baby Japanese Maple, but it is flaming red… I love it.  Fantastic fall color, cant wait till it gets bigger.  Also, the variegated Hydrangeas “Light O Day” are a favorite.   It is stingy with its blooms, but the leaves more than make up for it. 

IMG_1193

A few years ago I redid this entire area to have more color in the fall.  I think one of the best things I added were the self-reseeding annuals sweet alyssum, obedient plant  and moss verbena.  They drift out into my walkway softening the edges with masses of color.  I have many plants with great foliage colors, that is another key.  I also leave the blooms on my hydrangeas… I think the browning blooms are pretty and they certainly remind me Fall is in full swing.  As we get more cold nights, things look a bit less tidy, but isn't that  the charm of a fall garden?  My job is to keep it weeded and ENJOY it.  Have been saving seeds again this year, as well as adding many new ones.  I cannot tell you how much I love growing things from seeds and cuttings.  My little baby evergreens are doing fantastic.

Thanks so much for visiting….Brooke

6 comments:

  1. Hi Brooke,
    Your fall borders are just beautiful!

    Blogger is not letting me comment and some blogs this morning, so I am going to have to use the anonymous posting.

    It's me, Zoey, from Perennial Passions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply lovely, Brooke. Your Autumn borders are colourful and packed with interest. The section you re-did looks sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful borders. I love life in the garden also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke ~ You have a beautiful home and gardens. I love flowers and photographing them, but for whatever reason I need to push myself to get down and dig ! My blog is quite new andI have quite a few photo's of the surrounding gardens here.

    Thank you for following me and my email is conlen@gmail.com Please write anytime ~ love to hear what you are up l....

    Connie --- conlen22@gmail.com Write anytime !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the pictures along the fence - the variegated hydrangeas really pop. Another cool year here in Spokane means my 'Endless Summer' and 'Blushing Bride' hydrangeas do not have any blooms. If they never start blooming then they can't have an end, so does that make them endlessly blooming like the ads say? ;-)
    Thanks for the link on WebGarden. I had fun looking over all the other creative links on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brooke from your newest follower. I have been on your facebook page Webgarden for a while and have shared a link to a garden post there so am pleased to find your blog and share the garden love. Is that ok? thank you

    Veronica
    Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!