Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hollyhock Drama… Leads to a Makeover!

IMG_9742

My love for vintage flowers grows every year.

IMG_9743

And one of my favorites has always been hollyhocks.

IMG_9744

Who could not love this Crème De Cassis?  She is stunning.

IMG_9750

Or this Indian Blanket…. but like most girls getting on there in age…. look at her face…. not at her Bottom!  Because she has some serious issues with RUST!

IMG_9555

It has drove me crazy this year.  I love the blooms like “Wine Country Romance” here… but seriously… I cannot handle all the yuck!

IMG_9564

This has been a horrible year for my hollyhocks.  Rust has been MUCH worse than normal and the strong winds have been the icing on the cake.  I love to grow them and see the huge, towering blooms.  But yesterday I gave in and pulled most of mine out of the garden.  Yes, it is a sad day.

IMG_8880

We didn’t start out this way, as you can see in April we were looking good.  But we have has sooooo much rain.  And from the very start I saw bits of rust popping up. 

IMG_9397

So my solution was to removed the affected leaves.  And that is a bit of a chore.  HH leaves always make me itch.  But I picked at them almost daily and tried my best to keep them blooming.  But this last storm did them in.  They were laying over and I was going to have to get about 10 stakes….. and it was too much.  I took the whole row out.  Now, I still have HH in other areas, most of the ones seen in the big pictures are still there…. but this is how this area looks this morning…

IMG_9763

Cute huh?  And all these things were in the rose garden area already.

IMG_9764

Moving the chairs and little table made more room to move around the beds.  They are falling apart!  I need to have my hubby screw them together… but weathered is pretty in my book.

IMG_9765

Pink crepe myrtle and willow in tubs.

IMG_9768

I love signs… especially this one.

IMG_9767

This is sort of a joke, you would starve to death in my garden.  All I grow to eat is herbs and tomatoes.

IMG_9772

I am not 100% sold on the wreath, but I will get something growing up that trellis in no time.  All in all, it looks much better to me and as always…. change is good!

Happy Gardening….Brooke

4 comments :

  1. I love hollyhoscks too and I agree the rust is an eyesore...your area looks great and I love all the personal touches you have added...(tomatoes are a vegetable, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke - I love love love your garden! It's really really gorgeous, especially when you added all the cute garden accessories!

    Stopping by from Cottage Flora Thursdays. Better late than never, right?
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing at Fishtail Cottage garden party - your hollyhocks are simply gorgeous! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!