Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What’s blooming out back…

IMG_9282

As you come down from our deck this week you are surrounded by blooms.  My favorite is the Goldflame Honeysuckle.  It smells the best early mornings and it is a nice, tamer variety I have growing up the railings for 2 years now.  To the right is a Mock Orange in bloom, so you have sweet on both sides this time of year.

IMG_9277

This area is my “Hot Bed” and it is!  Full sun, not the best soil and not watered as often as the front areas.  Things have to be tougher here.  There are three large roses and a few evergreens and shrubs…. but for the most part it is a ton of perennials and bulbs.

IMG_6395

I wanted to show you a before and after, since I redid this bed last fall…. this was this area last June…. A bit of a mess!  All of the Susans are long gone…. Thank God! 

IMG_9268

And here is it is today.  What a difference!  Until I looked back at the pictures I hadn’t realized how much it has changed…   Plus I picked hotter, new colors for this bed while the front is more pastels….this has red, orange, yellow, dark purples and blues.  It is a pretty “Primary” area…. like a little box of crayons.

IMG_9269

But the best thing I added might be the REDS.  This sweet William is stealing the show this week, but later on there is other red blooms.  I love red in the garden, so dramatic, but hard to get the real colors on camera.

IMG_9289

Originally there were just plantings in the raised bed, but 2 years ago I jumped to the other side and filled it in.  They work together, but have completely different plants in the newer bed.  I have pops of burgundy in this area with the smoke trees, ninebark, the flowering plum tree and husker red penstemon.  It might be hard to see in the pictures, but in person if makes the other greens stand out.  I love foliage as well as blooms.

IMG_9278

Here is a shot of the Husker Red and a few irises still blooming.

IMG_9281

I got this kind a few years ago at a Master Gardener sale.  It is a very dark blue/purple…. it changes colors as the bloom ages. 

IMG_9280

I use penestmon all over my gardens.  I love it when it blooms, but it is pretty with just the leaves.  It is almost a shrub for me.  I have to cut it back or it seeds everywhere.  It is one of my favorite plants to give away and it is semi-evergreen here.  That’s a bonus!

IMG_9288

This area is where our TV dish and utility box is at the back of the garage.  I just pretend it isn’t there.  I have a clematis blooming up the trellis, but it is very hard to get to with all the under plantings, so I get in there early spring and clean it up, then leave it alone.  I keep hoping it will send out a few new starts. 

Eventually I would like to have my hubby help make rock steps down the hill.  Of course this is also the perfect area for a water feature.  Plan, big plans I have, but for now it looks pretty good and since I have about 70 plants in my garage that need put out I am plenty busy enough.  Are you like me and have a plant waiting area at all times?  It seems in the spring I do.

I also have to redo the bed I did by the front walk.  It is too low and it flooded with all this rain.  I think I lost an astilbe and some lilies.  They may not be gone, but they are almost and need a bit of help.  So as soon as it dries out I need to work two or three days outside.  But it came a huge rain last night.  I was watering earlier this weekend, so I have some time off from that now.

Hoping you are enjoying time in your garden.  Thanks so much for stopping by!

~Brooke~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...