Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring at the Lake

 

IMG_8542

Welcome to the first day of Spring!  It is a cold Sunday morning, but the sun is shining and we have things a blooming!

IMG_8523

I have a nice little patch of ‘King Henry’ daffodils blooming up the walk towards the deck.  These are new this year, I got them at a plant trade in October.  I love how big and bright they are…. about 3 times the size of wild ones.

IMG_8524

So happy to see and hear the bugs again here at the lake.  Makes me want to open up all the windows.  The sounds of the birds and the bugs have been wonderful…. it just SOUNDS like SPRING!

IMG_8530

Slowly the grass is greening up, and the clean up is mostly finished.  We hauled a ton to the compost pile the last few weeks. 

IMG_8544

Lots of things are popping up along the front walk.

IMG_8547

Looks like it will be a good year for my columbines.

IMG_8548

And my evergreen groundcover Japanese Spurge or Pachysandra is starting to bloom.  I really like this little plant.  I have it under shrubs and it stayed nice all winter long.

IMG_8528

This is what I did this morning… I repurposed my fountain into a raised container. It had been discolored and the “cement” looking coating was coming off where the water came out.  So I took the middle out and restacked it.  I will now plant some annuals in it.  I actually think it will look better this way.   It was a big too formal before.  I think this is it’s 4th year in the garden.  It was an inexpensive one from Wal-Mart.  IMG_5922

Here it was from last summer.  In a few months all the hostas will be up and it will be almost covered.  I may have to rise it more for it to be seen.  But I need something in the middle there, so now I have a chance to add more color with some annuals.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I am hoping to plant all my goodies from the garden show today.  It has been cold, windy and rainy here… and I needed the beds to dry up enough to plant.  Today I have on my ratty gardening gear and I’m going for it!

Love Brooke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...