Monday, January 24, 2011

My favorite flowers from SEED!

Oh….HOW I LOVE SEEDS!  I absolutely love everything about growing things from seeds.  And my garden would not look the same without them. 
IMG_5829
For pennies a plant you can have a lush, full display year after year. Many of the plants in the bed seen above are from seed.  It gave me the rich, full and lush look I wanted, as well as knowing I almost always will have something in bloom in this area.
Here are a few of my favorites.  I hope you might be inspired to try them as well.  All of the following plants I grew from seed in the last two years.
IMG_6933
Annual Cleomes…. I have a few different varieties, and I love them all. This one is a very bright pink.
IMG_6638
I have the soft pink and white ones as well.
IMG_5832Annual Pink and White Baby’s Breath
IMG_5846Canterbury Bells (Biennials)
IMG_5893
Annual Candytuft ( Reblooms all Season)
IMG_5899
Perennial White Yarrow and Annual Feverfew
IMG_5799
Foxglove (Biennials)
IMG_6281
So many different Perennial Hollyhocks….
IMG_6275
Annual Zinnia and Cosmos…
IMG_5998
Annual Heirloom Pink Catchfly
IMG_6006
Annual Pink Evening Primrose
IMG_5399
Perennial Russell Lupines
IMG_5402
Annual Moss Seed Verbena
IMG_5635
Perennial Mountain Bluet
IMG_5765
Perennial Coreopsis
Picture 076 - Copy
Annual Johnny Jump Ups and Violas
Picture 409
Perennial Sweet Williams
IMG_6406
Annual Verbenas
IMG_6636
Annual Morning Glory Vine
IMG_6657
Coneflowers are very easy from seed …. actually most perennials are reliable from seeds.  I could go on and on, and I am sure I left out a few favorites like larkspurs and poppy.  But this is a good start.
IMG_5417
As you can see, I start the majority of my new beds with seeds.
IMG_5425
To me it is a beautiful sight to find my little babies popping up.  It makes me want to go out in the snow and look for them today, but I know they are under their blanket waiting for it to warm up again.
Many blessing to all…. and much love…..Brooke

WG Small

Want to talk gardening everyday?
Looking for new ideas to inspire you?
I host a gardening group on Facebook
called WebGarden
We feature garden tours, posts and
information by creative gardeners like you!
Please Join Us!

4 comments:

  1. You've started so many pretty ones from seed. I used to only start a few different varieties from seed, but over the last few years I've been trying more and more.
    A great idea for a post and I think I may do one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is a delight Brooke! I can't wait to come back and watch those seeds grow in 2011

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love seeds..I also have really been enjoying my greenhouse for an early jump on seed starting. I have the orange tall cosmos seeds if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really do possess the proverbial green thumb, Brooke! I've not really ever had much success with seeds, but then I guess I've not really tried hard enough or long enough. One of the reasons I got my greenhouse was ostensibly so I'd start growing from seed, but it's already almost full just with the few orchids we split last year and other plants (ferns etc) that I choose to keep in there, so no room left for seeds, I'm afraid.

    You have the kind of garden, so full of colour and variety, that I can only dream of. It's wonderful being able to see it all through your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!