Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Putting the garden to bed…..

I went to a garden club meeting today and liked that expression.  I kind of feel like that this week.  Like I am tucking it in for the long winter sleep.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, I still have a few things blooming, and I am thankful for that.  I guess planning does pay off for the all season garden.  But it has just been so hot, dry and miserable…. that I think the garden is ready for a rest.

IMG_7303

I took these pictures a few days ago.  I think they look better in the shots than in real life, but as you can see I have quite a bit of color still.

IMG_7300

Mostly because of my annuals I do from seed each year.  This is moss verbena and it blooms for 6 months here.

IMG_7304

It looks really good with sweet alyssum, they just wrap around the rocks so pretty.

IMG_7337

The hydrangeas really did wonderful this year.  Even dying I still enjoy them.

IMG_7335

My big leaf hostas are really turning color quick.

IMG_7336

This grass has been a pretty skirt for my little althea tree on this corner.  I will divide it so it does not get too big next year, but it was really nice this fall.  I love grasses.

IMG_7339

This is that Autumn Fire Sedum, still beautiful, a new favorite.

IMG_7340

Wine and Roses Weigelia is a standout with the purple leaves.  Coral bells at the bottom of this pictures.

IMG_7341

My Light O’ Day Hydrangeas color is brighter since it cooled off, more yellow now.

IMG_7338

The bug are eating on the hyacinth bean vine.  I have been collecting seeds from it for next year.

IMG_7344

I still have a few containers that are doing well.

IMG_7342

 

These are all from the front porch where I actually watered….lol.

 

IMG_7345

 

My groundcovers are even dying back from no rain.  You can see how brown my grass is.

 

IMG_7322

 

My little Grandma Crow has done so well this year.  The baby hollyhocks are coming along nicely and the garlic chives still have a few blooms. 

 

IMG_7327

 

And the blue sage, roses and mums in this bed are my best color….but fading fast.

 

IMG_7328 

I will so miss the bright yellow blooms when they are gone!

I apologize for my pictures, they are a little weird today, it was overcast and I used a filter to correct them and I don’t really like the effect.  Oh well, they work. 

I had a nice day at a regional garden club meeting  today.  Got some huge daffodil bulbs and other goodies at the sale.  But after being gone all day I am ready to pile up infront of the tv and watch some of the up-teen shows I have taped and never seem to find the time to watch! 

Happy Gardening and thanks for stopping by….Brooke

2 comments :

  1. Love the fall color in your garden! You've really used texture, too, to prolong interest. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gardens are looking much better and more lush than mine. My yard is tired of the heat. I love your granny scarecrow and your marvelous view! I've been lucky with my hyacinth bean vines. Nothing has gotten to the leaves yet.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!