Monday, July 5, 2010

Plants that can take the HEAT!!

IMG_6325

Hello Gardening Friends…. hope you can rest up after the big weekend…. it is terrible hot again and we haven’t had rain for over two weeks. So I thought it might be a good time to talk about what does good in the garden with little to no water. First is Blanket flower…. I am collecting seed from this right now, but it is not one bit bothered by the heat…. and still looks great.

IMG_6323

Grasses….. I am ever adding them and love them all…. give them room and let them go. This one is Karley Rose Fountain Grass, a very good one for me.

IMG_6326

Latrisis Spicata or Gayfeather…. does wonderful and so interesting to grow.

IMG_6328

Lavender and Nepeta or Catmint…. two must haves in my book that will look great all summer.

IMG_6327

Carl Forester Grass is ready for fall color… and so pretty swaying in the breeze.

IMG_6345

Beardedtongue or Penstemon… this one is “Rondo” I love the colors…..

IMG_6344

Here is a pink one, they are so pretty and doing great in the heat.

IMG_6354

Daylily, Altheas and Coneflower….. plant them and forget them…. they are tough as nails.

IMG_6356

Butterfly bush and all shrubs really after they are established, but these are doing great…. I have no water in this area at all, so they have to be drought ready.

IMG_6334

And of course there are other reasons to grow them….. I took this last night…. we have beautiful butterflies out here.

As for the other things in the garden, I will be watering and cutting back. I know they will come back for a good flush of blooms in a few weeks and have a great show in the fall.

Anyway, like my plants this gardener likes to take a few weeks off when it’s hot too!

Happy Gardening…..Brooke

7 comments :

  1. Beautiful pictures / gardens! I keep scrolling back to figure out where to start. I also have Gaillardia, Catmint, Coneflowers, Daylilies, Butterfly Bush and Lavendar and love them all. The Penstemon are gorgeous - those are definitely going on my 'Have to get some' list. I don't have any grasses in my gardens but definitely want to try those too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appropriate post for this time of the year. It's been a hot & dry summer thus far here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice plants here. i am slowly adding grasses myself, love the added interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The view is beautiful bewyond your garden. We aren't expecting rain for several days and the temps are in the 90's. I'd already decided to take a break from gardening but I'm sure to with this heat. Great post! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    All your blooms look really good. I love your cone flowers, so pretty. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    My Gardening Woes
    http://mygardeningwoes.blogspot.com/2010/07/bloomin-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, yes, it is really dry and hot here. I am trying to look for the positive side of July. My roses are really looking stressed and the garden seems bare w/o them. So I rely on my coneflowers and drought tough plants for something to look at for a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing shot of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!