Monday, June 14, 2010

Starting over…is hard!

 Picture 012

So this is one of those…. I did something stupid in my garden moments…. This was my little triangle garden by the front walk last summer, pretty right?  Well… at some point I had an insane idea to put some white yarrow seed in “a few places” for “FILLER”…. omg…. what a mess!

IMG_5248

Look at the mess I had in Early May!  It was so matted and dense you the lilies cannot even get through.

IMG_5139

So I took a shovel to the whole bed…. and pitched yarrow like weeds as soon as the tulips were done blooming.

IMG_5678

This is a bad picture, but for many weeks there was nothing in this prime spot bed except for the roses in the corners…tiny little bits of green…. coming up from my seeds…. Patiently waiting…. and waiting…..thinking is it going to be ready in time?  I did buy a few 4 inch pot perennials, but for the most part…. I waited……

IMG_6048

For this!  It has exploded this week, just in time for the garden tour.  The lilies are shorter than normal, but all blooming.  Here is a close up of the double pink knockout roses…. they are so pretty.  They are new for me this year, I put three in this bed and you can really see them as you drive up.

IMG_6047

I did leave a bit of the yarrow, and now it looks nice…. not invasive…. but I will be pulling it out again before next spring.  I will leave a bit, but it spreads soooooo fast.  There is also white saliva, catmint, a new white lavender, reblooming iris, peonies, French hollyhocks, catchfly and pinks planted in this triangle. 

Picture 014

So here it is last year…. those roses were getting too big and I moved them to a new area….but you can see a bit over grown…..and really only two plants that bloomed all summer…..

IMG_6049

To this…. a nice mix of color and some of my very favorite things.  It smells wonderful too as you walk by.  I just couldn’t be happier with how it has turned out…. Change is good!

Happy Gardening…..Brooke

5 comments :

  1. Sometimes, one must edit! The lilies look good! I'm sure the garden tourers will be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun, I hope they hold out that long. I rescued them from the dumpster at our local WalMart last year. They came back great... I am always looking for ones they throw away after easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hun, I hope they hold out that long. I rescued them from the dumpster at our local WalMart last year. They came back great... I am always looking for ones they throw away after easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there... done that!! Yarrow is banned from my gardens, along with Gallardia and Butterfly delphiniums... the list goes on... live and learn... right?
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there... done that!! Yarrow is banned from my gardens, along with Gallardia and Butterfly delphiniums... the list goes on... live and learn... right?
    Larry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!