Friday, April 16, 2010

Be Brave Fellow Gardeners!

IMG_5209

I am asking those of you with tender hearts to look away…. because this is the ugly side of gardening….lol.  I am going to do something others would never try…. but I promise, it does work.

IMG_5212

Here I have a beautiful Boston Fern, I have taken it out of it’s pot.  It is a lovely plant, and in the next step…. it will become two lovely plants.  I am going to cut in in half!

IMG_5213

You see, I am now doing something so scary, so horrifying many would never dream of…. I am using a very sharp hand saw and cutting through all of the roots of this fern….. right down the middle of it.

IMG_5215

Then I have two halves….. two lovely ferns for my window boxes.  You see, my planters are very narrow, and planting the whole fern would be too wide.  But I like the size of the big, full Boston ferns much better than waiting on little 4 inch pot ferns to fill in.

IMG_5216

So I place each of the halves in a planter and fill them with new potting soil and slow release fertilizer.

IMG_5217

Then I place them back in the boxes with my flat sides against the house.

IMG_5218

Already they look pretty good…. but in no time they will take off like crazy!  I thought I would have to water them everyday, but they are in almost full shade and they really do well for me.  I water them about twice a week when it is really hot and humid.

Picture 034

Here is a picture from last summer and you can see it has completely filled the box and you can no longer see the coleus I had planted with it.  This year I am just doing the ferns by themselves.

So, for $12.00 I did two window boxes that will look nice all the way through November.  For $6 a planter, I think that is a heck of a deal!

Now for more on my “Be Brave” theme…..Let me tell you what I am about to do!

You see, tomorrow is a big gardening day for me.  I am going to one of my hubby’s coworkers homes and she has said….”Take everything and anything!”  I guess her mother was a gardener, but she does not want to take care of it.  She “wants only grass” and is getting rid of all the plants!  I have known about this for a few weeks and simply cannot imagine what I will find.  It is like a gardening test, identifying what is there.  I will take a leap of faith and transplant things without knowing the colors and possibly what it even is….lol.  I am guessing it will be a lot of standards like daylily, iris, peony, ect.  I have every bucket, sack and tool I can find.  It is suppose to be cooler in the 60’s….but it will still be a big day.  I may come home with plants in trash bags!  But what I can’t use I can give to the garden club sale in a few weeks.  I have never had a chance to do anything like this and am excited….lol.  This lady will think my husband is married to a crazy woman won’t she…. but I know you all will understand!

I’ll keep you posted….but I will be busy for a few days at least!

Happy Gardening…..Brooke

4 comments :

  1. Great job Bren...I'm not afraid to cut and chop either! I've done it with ferns, hostas, hellebores, lilies, just about anything, especially as it is just coming out of the ground in the spring. Have fun tomorrow and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get lots of goodies tomorrow. I can't wait to see what you come home with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you did with the fern.

    I am excited about your opportunity to get plants. I dug some iris and daylilies out of a yard that was about to have the house torn down for an apartment to be built a number of years ago. I knew what kind of plants they were, but had no idea what colors they were. What fun it was to see them bloom for the first time! I still love them, too. You'll have fun planting yours and seeing what they do. You can post mystery plants to ask for help in identifying them, too.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderfully exciting to get plants for free from someone who does not want what they have in their yard.

    Your Boston Ferns look great. I have them growing all over the place down here, and sometimes just pull them up to get rid of them. They spread like crazy and take over every square inch that they can.

    Have a lovely weekend and enjoy digging up all the freebies for your gardens.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!