Thursday, March 4, 2010

It feels good to get my hands dirty!

IMG_4772

Isn’t this a beautiful sight…. I just love working with seeds and bulbs.

IMG_4773

There is just so much promise… and of course the idea of tons of plants for pennies…. I’m all for a bargain!

IMG_4771

Like these bulbs I bought for 40 cents a box…..90% off!  Even if only a few make it….it is fun to try!

IMG_4769

But I did learn a lesson last year, if you only have a few seeds, control how you plant them…. for me that is a container to start with.  Here I have 5 pots of pincushion flower, hoping that they can be added along my walkway. 

Picture 131

I am participating in something new this year!

The Garden Bloggers Seed Grow Project

Picture 130

 

seed GROW project

The seed GROW project is a communal seed growing project for garden bloggers. The idea behind it is to get as many garden bloggers as possible to grow the same plant, starting from seed. In sharing the seed starting process, experience, tips and creativity throughout the growing season perhaps we'll create a sense of community among garden bloggers who may only know each other online.

ReneesGarden.com has generously agreed to be the the sponsors of the seed GROW project. Renee's Garden is an independent online seed seller of heirlooms, culinary herbs, vegetables and unusual flowers. To kick off the first seed GROW project Renee will be providing us with Nasturtium "Spitfire" to grow in our gardens.  This Nasturtium is a climbing variety with red flowers. "Spitfire" is perfect for growing on fences, trellises or allowing them to drape over balconies. She says it is a perfect plant to grow because "it covers a multitude of sins in the garden."

 nast-spitfire2

"I'm growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the GROW project. Thanks, to Renee's Garden for the seeds."  I will be taking notes on how it performs and posting updates.  What a fun idea!!

I wanted to make a list of all the seeds I am trying this year, but I think I will just add pictures as the begin blooming.  But I wanted to show you a couple of posts from last spring on seeds.

This first post is where I buy most of my seeds and some things I grew last year.

http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/2009/09/buying-seed-in-bulk-on-ebaygreat-deals.html

Another one about seeds…..

http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/2009/02/seedscoming-out-my-earsbut-want-more.html

I will do a follow up post next on “Success Stories of 2009”

It will include photos of things I grew from direct sewing last spring.

Happy Gardening….Brooke

 

 

4 comments :

  1. Hi Brooke~~ What fun! I'm shying away from seeds this year except for the few I already have. I must say as I gazed at your photos I started to waiver a bit but I think I'll just grow them vicariously through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke. You are going to be one busy lady but isn't it fun. I will be watching for your Scabiosa this summer. I love the berry colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get started! I bought pots and some seeds so far. I don't plant many seeds. Thanks for the hope of spring to come! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Playing catchup with the posts from March. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for starting early.

    I almost bought that same scabiosa mix as you did. But went with a purple one from D. Landreth Seeds

    Don't forget about this Sunday's post. Can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!