I am happy to announce I will be hosting a two week event here at Creative Country Mom's! I will have over 30 holiday decorated blogger home tours and a two week Christmas themed link party!
Christmas in the Country Link Party and Home Tour 2014 at Creative Country Mom.com
Add the button to your posts and link them to www.creativecountrymom.com!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Garden Club Trip….Hilltop Orchids

IMG_4805

Oh my do I have a feast for the eyes today!

IMG_4782

Today our garden club visited Hilltop Orchids owned by Dick and Sandy Wells in Cloverdale, Indiana.

company_logo

http://www.hilltoporchids.com/shop/home.php

IMG_4783

We were honored to be given a tour by Dick Wells, who is a legend in the Orchid field. IMG_4818

He told us today that he has bred over 150 orchid varieties…. many named after his family members and friends.

IMG_4823

I really must say I was not very knowledgeable about these plants, but he was so informative…. he makes it all look easy.

IMG_4784

And look at all the lovely plants he has in bloom!

IMG_4785

I think he said he had over 60,000 orchids, most were in bloom during out visit.

IMG_4786

There was just dazzling color everywhere you looked.

IMG_4787

Such beauty for us “Spring Hungry” Indiana Gardeners!

IMG_4792

The colors were so vivid.

IMG_4793

Of course I am always drawn to the pinks….

IMG_4795

Each one more fantastic than the last.

IMG_4796

There were just so many to choose from, it was mind blowing.

IMG_4801

He let us tour the entire greenhouse, and get close and touch the blooms.

IMG_4802

I was almost afraid too, they were too beautiful…. and delicate.

IMG_4803

I am sorry, I do not know all the names, there were far too many to keep track.

IMG_4804

We stayed there for over two hours enjoying the over a quarter an acre of greenhouses.

IMG_4807

We also got to see his breeding building, a sterile environment like a chemistry lab.

IMG_4808

This bunch were getting ready to be shipped out.

IMG_4809

But I must say if you are ever near I70, in Cloverdale, Indiana…..

IMG_4812

Especially in December thru Early Spring when they have the best blooms……

IMG_4814

Stop in and visit with Dick at Hilltop Orchids.

IMG_4826

To me it really did feel like a once in a lifetime experience.

Montclair

And yes, I did bring one home…. it is called a “Montclair”. Mine is not in bloom yet, but it looks like the one above. The reason I chose it is because it has a very spicy scent. I think it is much prettier in person, but this photo is from his website….here is more about the plant.

http://www.hilltoporchids.com/shop/product.php?productid=16180&cat=290&page=1

Sorry it is such a long post today, but how could I leave out such lovely pictures!

I couldn’t decide what ones to not use, so I used them all!


This is a video from where I was today….. cool huh?

Happy Gardening……Brooke

And thank you Dick for a very nice visit today!!

Popular Posts