Sunday, February 7, 2010

2010 Wish list #7…..More Lilies!

Picture 231

I have so many favorite flowers….but I have to say, I just LOVE my lilies.

Picture 235

Seriously…. what is not to love about these gorgeous bright bursts of color?

Picture 348

And they smell wonderful…. and just drift through the garden in bloom.

Picture 234

And they blend so nicely with other flowers.

Easter-Lily

And of course the white ones are so precious.  I planted around 20 white bulbs rescued after Easter last year.  I can’t wait for them to pop up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have ordered 4 new varieties for this year….they are….

ASIATIC LILY ITALIA FLOWER BULB

ASIATIC LILY ITALIA

ASIATIC LILY lollipop

ASIATIC LILY LOLLIPOP

eLGRADO

ASIATIC  LILY ELGRADO

lilum-STARGAZER

And last, but never least…..   Lily Stargazer

 

Why Lilies You Ask?

Because they naturalize…. oh how I love free plants!

Because they are easy!  They thrive on leaving them alone and come back stronger because of it.

They pop with color, then fade away…. since they bloom early (Late May or Early June here)…. they add a burst of color until my perennials start in.

And they are a bit different.  I think people are still afraid to try them.  But mine have done so well, with so little care…. I think EVERYONE should have lilies!

And right now is a good time to start looking.  They sell them in early spring and late fall.  If planted when the ground is ready in March, the will bloom the first year (in my experience).  I have also moved lilies after they have popped up and the still continued to grow and bloom for me…. that is a tough little plant.

***And I have never had to stake my lilies****

Mine only grow to about 15 inches tall, and have never flopped over.

This spring I will be ready to divide the orange and yellow ones…. I would love to trade a few bulbs to get more different ones.  Anyone takers?  Let me know!

Happy Gardening….Brooke

13 comments :

  1. Love that Lollipop! LA hybrids work better for me over the long haul, but I can't stop myself when I see Orientals or Asiatics for sale.

    Nobody ever had too many lilies, did they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke, You are right about the lilies, especially the Asiatic lilies, of which I have none. I have a few daylilies, but not these...and yes, I think it's because I'm afraid they won't do well. You seem to have more open land than I, or at least, what you have seems sunny. My backyard has a lot of shade. The front yard lilies always look nice--if they actually bloom before the deer eat the buds off. I usually have to go out on a regular basis and spray deer repellent all around-and on-the lilies that I DO have. I would love more, but I'll watch yours and hopefully that will quench my thirst. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. NellJean... I am in the same boat. I bought the new ones on EBay! I think they we're a pretty good deal. It is not always easy to find them locally.

    Jan, I have almost all sun. My last garden was dappled shade and everything did really well. It has been a bit to get use to, more things grow in part shade than full sun. Things will wilt and dry out if I am not on top of them. Especially new plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..this is such a gorgeous post of lilies! I too looove lilies and would love to have even more! Gorgeous photos...just dazzling beauty! What an inspiring post! Yay!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke~~ I don't want to be a debbie-downer but there are specific classifications for lilies. "Asiatics" are only one type. They are the first to bloom and are NOT fragrant. The "Oriental" types, of which Stargazer is a member, are later blooming and extremely fragrant. The Easter lily is a "Trumpet." There are crosses between Oriental and Trumpet but I can't remember what they're called.

    And there are the Daylilies and Callas which aren't officially lilies at all.

    I hesitate to say all of this
    because I don't want to be a hort-snob know-it-all.

    The website below has gobs of info on lilies.

    http://bloom.co.nz/shop/index.php?cPath=1&PHPSESSID=129be4b3cda5e5

    Hope we can still be friends, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke~~ I don't want to be a debbie-downer but there are specific classifications for lilies. "Asiatics" are only one type. They are the first to bloom and are NOT fragrant. The "Oriental" types, of which Stargazer is a member, are later blooming and extremely fragrant. The Easter lily is a "Trumpet." There are crosses between Oriental and Trumpet but I can't remember what they're called.

    And there are the Daylilies and Callas which aren't officially lilies at all.

    I hesitate to say all of this
    because I don't want to be a hort-snob know-it-all.

    The website below has gobs of info on lilies.

    http://bloom.co.nz/shop/index.php?cPath=1&PHPSESSID=129be4b3cda5e5

    Hope we can still be friends, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course we are still friends! Silly girl. All I have ever grew are "Easter-type" and the ones I pictured in the post, and they all smell... but I love them all and think they are so pretty. I almost ordered callalily bulbs, but unsure how they do here. I will check out that site too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brooke, Whew. Thanks! I'm sorry I posted my comment twice. I'm not sure how that happened. One of me is more than enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love these lilies! Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the sunshine! The lilies are all lovely! I'm trying not to have a wish list this year. Just hoping everything I moved likes its new home. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I agree - lilies are fantastic plants.
    I've even resorted to growing them from seed to get more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the term Grace was looking for is 'Orienpet' - hybrids between Orientals and Trumpets, of which my fav is 'Orania.' You can see some lily pics I posted in January here:

    Secret Life of Lilies

    I think I already said that hybrids between Easter Lilies and Asiatics (LA lilies or Longiflorum/Asiatic hybrids) are my best performers. Having said all that, I am in the midst of planting Orientals, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I planted some daylilies last fall that I rec'd at a plant swap..can I expect them to flower this year? I see them starting to peak through the ground.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!