Monday, November 2, 2009

I made it till November!….

Picture 103

Here it is the first day of November in my zone 6 Southern Indiana garden….and I still have a few blooms!

(Hearty Mum)

Picture 099

All be it they are few and far between…but I’ll take them! 

(Feverfew)

Picture 096

If you have been reading my blog from this spring, you know I was obsessed with white flowers….and they have really done well this year!  This is an annual candytuft that reseeded and rebloomed late this fall…..it is popping up everywhere, but that is great, I really like it.

Picture 097

It has the same looking foliage as perennial candytuft, but I wonder if it is evergreen….probably not…but it is pretty.

Picture 106

My sweet alyssum and white yarrow still have a bunch of blooms…and they smell really good….they seem to like the cooler weather.  This is all from seed too, and has been pretty all summer.

Picture 105

The moss verbena is still putting on a good show.  It is another reseeding annual, that seems to be the key…..put a few annual seeds around for blooms all summer…and into fall.  You can see the seed formation here, I am hoping it comes back good next spring.

Picture 100

I have a few wildflowers still out by the road….I have more seed but am trying to decide to plant it now….or in March like I did this year.  They have done really well and should fill in more next spring…there is perennial seeds in the mix and I had lots of green this year….so hopefully blooms next summer.

(Indian Blanket Flower)

Picture 089

This is what really surprises me….Purple Coneflowers in November!  I think it is because they we’re from seed I planted late spring…but they are so pretty.  I can see them from the house….but they are fading fast and we have had some hard frosts.

Picture 095

The roses are still going….they are loosing the leaves….but still making buds!

Picture 098

They have a bunch of brown in them….but they look good from the road….

(The Fairy Rose)

Picture 109

These have bloomed non-stop….I have a “happy place” for them I guess.  I really love them with the purple/blue  perennials at their feet.

(Countrytime Rose)

Picture 110

Isn’t this the brightest blue?  It is from seed too…. it is salvia farinacea or mealy blue sage.

 

So I am guessing this will be it for the blooms this year.  I am actually a bit shocked they lasted this long.  I knew the roses did well in colder weather, but the annuals surprised me.  I have added 8 hearty mums this year, after seeing so may areas with nothing going on in the fall…. it is an obsession I tell ya!

So I say to my garden blooms…..

Goodbyes are not forever.
Goodbyes are not the end.
They simply mean I'll miss you
Until we meet again!
~Author Unknown

Happy Gardening Everyone!

~Brooke~

6 comments:

  1. You have some great blooms still. I have coneflowers blooming now too. I love candytuft, it's evergreen here and the blooms are stand out white in the winter/spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUCKY!!! that's all I have to say about your beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they are beautiful and appreciated even more for their tenaciousness! I have to try allysum again...it's such a pretty little flower and sweet smelling, too. gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you meant that you waited until November to put your Christmas out. Ha... Wonderful little blooms. They are so appreciated this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely.....I adore white flowers....My hubby is telling me there is not enough colour in the garden! White for me adds a purity and ethereal feel.....

    Feverfew is great and such a spreader....I do not have a problem with it at all......the more the merrier....

    I have so many blooms in the garden, unusual for this time of year. The weather has been so mild this autumn......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing you still have so much. I've still got some zinnia's. I'm actually thinking of taking them inside and over wintering them - never tried that with zinnia before so it will be an experiment. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...