Monday, November 9, 2009

Evergreens In Containers…

Picture 155

As I blogged a few weeks ago ….I hit the garden center clearance sales hard this fall.

Picture 154

And our deck received several of my finds…in evergreens.

Picture 153

It is just off the kitchen and with the French doors…very visible from several rooms.

Picture 157

So when things die back, it is sad not to see anything out there in the winter months.

Picture 156

So this year it will be  nice to see pretty green leaves.

Picture 159

Maybe I’ll be able to fool myself and think the rest of the garden still looks good too!

Out here I have 5 Inkberry Hollys….and 4 boxwoods in planters on the deck.

Shamrock Hollys are new to me…..so far I really like them.

Here is a bigger picture and info.

InkberryHolly

Ilex glabra 'Shamrock' (Inkberry)  •  Zone 5

A standout with bright, glossy, dark evergreen foliage in a compact, upright to rounded form that holds its shape very well. Interesting tiny black fruits are visible in intimate settings, making 'Shamrock' perfect for a lovely, understated mass planting.

Great For: 

Foundation plantings

Perennial and shrub borders

Height: 3-5'   Width: 3-5'    Shape: Ovoid, Upright

Fall Color: Green

Winter Interest: Structure

Best of all….they were gallon sized plants and I bought them for $4.00 each!

I have no idea how they will do with our Indiana winters, but I am prepared to move them into the garage if we get ice storms or hard snows.

So, how do your evergreens do in containers….any tips are appreciated.

Happy Gardening….Brooke

3 comments:

  1. Your containers do look nice and it is good to have greenery on your deck to look out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Christmasy look of your blog! Very pretty and festive. I've finally emerged from the house of the living dead where we've been battling the swine flu. I'm now playing catch up on people's blogs. I love the look of the evergreens in the pot. I think it looks wonderful and like you said, it will be great to look out your window during the winter and see something "green".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evergreens certainly say Christmas and lend brightness to the winter garden.

    Only 45 days to Christmas? I haven't even bought Cranberry Sauce for Thanksgiving yet!

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful to hear from you and taking the time to visit. Come back soon and let me know how I can visit you online as well. I love to meet new gardeners!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...