Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Love Those Purple Blooms!!!!

IMG_3771

Of all the new seeds I tried this year, this is my favorite.

IMG_3770

This Hyacinth Bean is almost in complete shade and it is lovely.  It has bloomed and bloomed and the purple seed heads are so shiny and pretty too.  I will collect seed for next year.  The foliage has been nice too, a deeper green with burgundy in it, which I love.

IMG_3768  

And here is my second favorite…..Moss Verbena (shown with Obedient Plant)

IMG_3760

Wow, it has such pretty fern like foliage and wow, the blooms.  Here you can see how well it blends with pinks and purples. 

I think I will always grow this Verbena and not buy the annuals in pots each year.  It has been an easy one and truly, the show is spectacular.

IMG_3761

But I have to add, as so many gardeners dislike obedient plant and pink evening primrose….I love mine.  Yes, they are super aggressive and spread like crazy.  But I just yank them out, give them away….or have more plants for new beds.

And the color this time of year when so much is finished is a huge bonus.

 

Happy Gardening…..Brooke

7 comments :

  1. Love that Hyacinth Bean. I have a lot of shade. I need to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I love purples, too! Need to get that bean for my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely beautiful flowers you've got growing, especially grown from seed and not transplants! Beautifully done. I love the look of the Obedient plant, but have been afraid to grow it because I hear of their aggressive nature. I may cave in one day and plant it :) BTW, stop by my blog to enter the drawing to win a $25 gift certificate to Burpee's! Drawing ends tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the insight. I haven't thought about looking on eBay for seeds, so I appreciate your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Hyacinth Bean I can't believe it grew so much this year I would love some seeds must look on line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hyacinth bean didn't do anything this year. I think it was over run by the morning glories.

    Love all your pinks and purples together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is gorgeous in your garden...and I love obedient plant, too. So far, it hasn't been invasive in my garden...but I did just put my plants in this summer. I had never even heard of it until a couple of months ago, and I'm smitten with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I enjoy hearing from my readers!